Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to - - Home Depot

Kudos to - - Home Depot

I guess it's only fair to praise a place as fast and as much as it is to condemn them .

My wife and I hit the Home Depot Black Friday sale this morning at 4:30 am.
    The doors were scheduled to open at 5:00 am.

The weather was crystal clear, slight wind and bitter cold (very low teens).
    Much to everyone's pleasant surprise, one of the employees came out wheeling a cart with two coffe makers filled with hot coffee and several dozen donuts!

What a nice touch!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I think I'll move to Ohio !! I still have reservations re HD but I'd like a reserved doughnut ! Hoot!

Thats a small, classy touch. I wouldnt have expected it but its refreshing to hear.
    What tools did you buy?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It it nice of them, but what could be worth bing at HD at 4:30 in the morning?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-28-2014 at 3:50 PM.

I think they were just trying to fatten you guys up for the slaughter.

I was at my local HD around 6:45 am this morning to pick up an order I had placed. They had cookies and coffee at the front door. They still had stock of pretty much all of their Black Friday deals left. I grabbed a set of Bosch spade bits for $5 in addition to picking up my order.

They have some pretty good deals on cordless tools, especially on extra batteries. Makita LXT 3 amp batteries are a steal at two for $99. I typically see them at one for $99 at the retail level. You can't even get them for that price online.

I am an HD shopper. The people are always helpful and they always give me my vet 10% discount. Lowe's doesn't do that.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I had to buy a new ladder.
    Home Depot had one of the 22 foot folding ladders for $125.00. It's rated for 300#. My old extension ladder is only rated for 225# and I wasn't real comfortable being up in the air on it last month - - since I'm pushing the 300# mark these days!

I also picked up a Milwaukee 12 V drill and impact driver set with an extra battery (extended run) for $99.
    That's a heck of a deal since the bare drill runs like $89.!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rich -

Gonna have to start keeping a closer eye on you. There may have been a change in the firing order of some synapses, brudda. You come home from HD bragging about your new B&D $29,95 plunge router, and we'll have to convene the Secret Society on you.

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Not to rub it in, but if you had been in San Diego with us this morning at the Depot, it was 61 with a slight ocean breeze. I will take the temperature and sun over coffee and donuts, but the vacation ends tomorrow and back to Cincinnati.....brrr

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I am an HD shopper. The people are always helpful and they always give me my vet 10% discount. Lowe's doesn't do that.
    Lowe's has always honored my military ID. I thought it was nationally done.
    -Lud

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Lowe's has always honored my military ID. I thought it was nationally done.
    The new "official" HD policy is to only give the 10% discount to disabled vets year round, and to all vets on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. In actuality - every HD store I've been in has it's own rule for when they will give the discount. Since I am disabled - I get it (almost) every time I ask for it -

I've seen:
    one HD requires you to "register" with customer service desk - then you or anyone you designate can use the discount
    one HD refused to give me the discount because my VA card didn't look EXACTLY like the one on their flyer (had to get the manager to give the discount that day - I think the cashier didn't like veterans)
    one HD told me "it's only for disabled vets" - (I have "Veteran" designation on my drivers license and carry my VA card) - then gave it to me anyway
    one HD doesn't care and gives to any vet that asks.

Lowes - offers 10% discount to all veterans. I've never had issue getting the discount there. Some stores allow the cashier to apply it - some stores the manager has to apply it.

I was at my HD at 5 AM. They had heaters on, coffee and doughnuts for everyone and a line to get in. Left there and went on down the hill to Lowes and I wasn't even sure they were open. They didn't seem to have much of a sale going on. That said I don't think HD had as much as last year either. I got some small things.

While at our local HD, I have actually had HD employees at the checkout counter ask me if I was a vet and then they gave me the discount.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I used to live at the California beach and it is penetratingly cold in the 60's when there is an ocean breeze. Probably it is the dampness, and although there will be some wonderful days it mostly goes on and on through the winter and even until July.