Thread: Griz Finger Brake????

Griz Finger Brake????

Guys I need a finger brake,over afew yrs time I find that I need one more and more.Most of the time I always purchase used,I can't remember the last time I purchase a new tool.Anyway I am looking at the griz 48"x16ga brake but its over 600.00 ship.Before I do something silly and pull the trigger on a new tool,what are your thoughs on this?Does anyone know if theres a best time of yr to purchase this and get the best deal possible?Thanks----Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seek out a 10% off coupon. They were on wood magazine cover a couple months ago.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I purchased the 24" pan and box brake from Grizzly and like it. I have used it to make metal stars, as shown in another post. It just sets on top of my bench but I clamp it down when I am using it, It weighs about 100 pounds. (I am a retired Sheet Metal worker)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have this brake and it works well for me, but the thickest metal I have bent is 20 gage stainless, which for a shear is about equal to 16 gage mild steel. Not sure how 20 gage stainless relates to 16 gage mild steel in a brake though.

Bought mine years ago and do not use it every day but it works well when I need it.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

What do you want to make with it? This will be the determining significant factor.

16 gauge is only .0598 thick. You could do HVAC with it, or make your own version of a small tool box, or maybe do some craft metal work with aluminum or copper. Are you sure this will handle what you plan to make?

If you want to bend anything significantly thicker you are going to need a hydraulic press with a press pan brake attachment and these are going to add up to $$$$.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Guys I need a finger brake,over afew yrs time I find that I need one more and more.Most of the time I always purchase used,I can't remember the last time I purchase a new tool.Anyway I am looking at the griz 48"x16ga brake but its over 600.00 ship.Before I do something silly and pull the trigger on a new tool,what are your thoughs on this?Does anyone know if theres a best time of yr to purchase this and get the best deal possible?Thanks----Carroll
    I have the same brake sold by Enco. It works well, but keep in mind that the specifications say,
    "Mild Steel Gauge: 16 gauge at half width, 18 gauge at full width."
    The brake comes with a 2x2 (approx.) inch angle that bolts to the front and stiffens it enough to bend these thicker materials.
    This will limit the amount of reverse bend that you can do to about 2-1/2 inches.
    If you take the stiffener off, you can reverse bend to 3/8 inch but only with lighter gauges.
    All in all, it is pretty good for the price.
    A lot of the quality of the bend will depend on how strong of a bench that it is bolted down to.
    Adjusting the amount of setback is fairly standard and convenient.
    Right now, Enco is providing free truck shipping. You just need to also find a 20% off coupon.

I don't stop at yard sales often, but I happened by one with a brake in the driveway. You don't want to hear what I bought a Pexto 36" for many years ago.

Dang,one of those stories that I only get to read about and not be in that chapter.And a brand that is consider the best by the trade,you luck guy.I chicken out pulling the trigger on buying a new one,so still looking CL's etc but still coming up empty.Congratulations

It does a really pretty job of folding copper flashing for chimneys. I didn't want to really hurt your feelings, so I didn't mention the shear.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-13-2016 at 9:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    I purchased the 24" pan and box brake from Grizzly and like it. I have used it to make metal stars, as shown in another post. It just sets on top of my bench but I clamp it down when I am using it, It weighs about 100 pounds. (I am a retired Sheet Metal worker)
    Here is a photo of one of the 38" metal stars I made with my 24" brake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Awesome work Jim

These tools "may" be capable of the capacity advertised. I bought a similar beast and it is an under achiever. Not horrible but by no means good.

For bending thicker materials they use a hydraulic press with a press brake option. SWAG Offroad makes a finger brake kit for doing this at a reasonable price, but you will need a 20 ton hydraulic press to go with it.
    http://www.swagoffroad.com/20-TON-Fi...-Kit_p_86.html

Charley