Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum Sander Grits

I have 2 planers, but I would still surface re sawn cedar with my drum sander. I have a dual drum supermax. For red cedar straight from the band saw I use 80 & 100 grit.

Got my Grizzly 12 inch drum sander today. It would have been here last Wednesday, but SaLa routed it through Dallas Texas in route to Des Moines from Kansas City! When I called to find out what was going on, the lady said, that sometimes happens..... Sorry.
    Box had some slight damage which I noted on the ticket but got it home and unpacked. Looked ok, a lot of set up time, I had to install the elevation crank and that was it! Turned it on and even cold from the truck it started up just fine. Ran the first board without the dust collector (shop Vac) hooked up. First and last time for that. Stalled the motor and tripped motor protector just one time learning the ropes.
    The thing is a beast. I will need to use a come a long to put up on the roller stand.

I sanded down my cedar board for a sign being done tomorrow. Sanded some of the re-sawed red cedar, and the back side of another cedar board that was just rough sawn. Works great!
    Spare rolls of sandpaper will be here Friday.

I will insp and oil and lube tomorrow but like my other Grizzly tool a small milling machine I do not expect any problems.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-02-2014 at 7:56 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10