Thread: Delta Shaper 43-379 Height Adjustment...

Delta Shaper 43-379 Height Adjustment...

The height adjustment on my shaper is VERY hard to turn. Yes, the locking screw is loose in the middle of the handwheel. Wondering if there's a way to get in there and lubricate it, or how to go about freeing it up....
    Thanks-
    Dave
    He who hesitates is lunch.

There is a jack screw that can be cleaned and lubricated, as well as the gears which turn this screw. There is also a shaft in there that is the travel path for the yoke which holds the spindle cartridge, this too should be rust free and lubricated. White lithium s spray grease would be my choice, the wrong lubricant will make a past as it attracts dust to it self and quickly bind up the works. I had a delta 43-379 for some time and one of its best features was how effortlessly and accurately the spindle rose and fell. There should be no struggle at all. Not much room to maneuver in there but well worth the effort.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Peter, thanks. There was a little surface rust on the shaft. So I scrubbed that with a little scotchbrite and wd40, and then lubed with spray lithium grease. Ran it up and down a few times to distribute the lube and all works great now.
    He who hesitates is lunch.