Thread: Dewalt xrp batteries

Blog Entries

Dewalt xrp batteries

Anybody had any luck buying rebuilt battery packs from ebay. Home depot $71, 2 pk same as one from home depot?..Jack
    eBay item# 371188102281
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-28-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

I had my 14.4v XRP batteries and a 12v PC battery rebuilt by MTO Battery back in March 2010. They're still going strong and it was cheaper than new OEM batteries.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just had my Dewalt 12v (not XRP) rebuilt for the second time at Batteries Plus. First time lasted 3 years with no problems, hobby use only, however. You get the same guarantee (one year) as buying new batteries...but cheaper.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I've done a bit of looking at having a battery rebuilt and it doesn't seem to make sense financially. I can buy a two pack of Dewalt 18V batteries from Amazon for $99, or about $50 each. All the rebuild places I've found are pretty close to $50 to rebuild a Dewalt 18V battery, especially when you add in the shipping. Personally, I'd prefer to purchase real Dewalt batteries if the price difference is only a few dollars.

Is there some place that will do an 18V Dewalt battery rebuild for maybe $35, including shipping? I'd have to save about $15 per battery to get me to go the rebuild route.

Mike

[And for that matter, if I wanted to go with the smaller capacity 18V batteries, Home Depot has a special right now on a Dewalt drill with two batteries and a charger for $89. I don't know if I could sell the bare tool on eBay, but if I could, I'd get two batteries for maybe $70, or about $35 each.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-30-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have an older festool CDD drill and one of the 12V batteries wont hold a charge, I just sent it to primecell.com. $42 includes shipping back. Sure beats $140 from festool. At $140 for a single battery that was probably manufactured 5 years ago, I was thinking of getting a new drill. I like the drill I currently have, with all the different chucks, right angle, offset, and two chargers, that I'd have to buy again with the new drill. Hopefully the rebuild works. primecell gets good reviews so what the heck.

~mark

I have just been buying a new drill when Ace hardware has them on sale for 90 or 100$, but lately they have switched to Lithium Ion. I did get an ad for a new drill and impact driver for 139. Is Dewalt phasing out the Nicad batteries?

Thanks for the tip on Batteries Plus. Did not know they rebuilt batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I have just been buying a new drill when Ace hardware has them on sale for 90 or 100$, but lately they have switched to Lithium Ion. I did get an ad for a new drill and impact driver for 139. Is Dewalt phasing out the Nicad batteries?
    As I buy new tools, I'm going to the Dewalt 20V tools, but I have a bunch of older 18V tools with the Nicad batteries. I don't want to replace all of those, which still work well, just to go to the new battery technology.

18V Li ion batteries that fit the older tools are available, but expensive, and I'd have to buy a new charger also. I do appreciate the lighter weight of the new Li ion tools, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've done a bit of looking at having a battery rebuilt and it doesn't seem to make sense financially. I can buy a two pack of Dewalt 18V batteries from Amazon for $99, or about $50 each. All the rebuild places I've found are pretty close to $50 to rebuild a Dewalt 18V battery, especially when you add in the shipping. Personally, I'd prefer to purchase real Dewalt batteries if the price difference is only a few dollars.
    My experience has been longer run time and longer life. The MTO rebuilt batteries are going on 5 years, the OEM DeWalt’s lasted about 3, IIRC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney