Thread: 3 phase transformer

3 phase transformer

I am considering buying a used Wadkin planer with a 6hp 3 phase 400 volt 50 hz motor. I have 3 phase 60 hz 240 volt power from a 10 hp rotary phase converter. Doing a search for an appropriate transformer has left me confused. Is this a practical idea, and where should I be looking? Is there any problem with running the motor at 60 hz? Has anyone here done a similar power conversion?

Others should chime in here for real knowledge but English motors @ 50 hz and 400-415 have been run here at 440-480 60 hz by the old machine crowd. Motors like voltage and as hz increases, so should voltage. I have access to a great motor guy so I would likely rewind. At 60 hz that machine should leave a great finish. Dave

50Hz motors have more iron than 60Hz motors so it should not be a problem running it at 60Hz. After all, we use VFDs and run motors at all different frequencies. As far as a three phase transformer, you use three single phase transformers to handle three phase.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The 60Hz for a 50Hz motor will increase the rotation speed with 20%, given a synchronous motor. \
    Look closely at the connection for the motor - it may be reconfigurable to 230V , - many european motors can be switched between 400/230 by changing from star to delta connection. The star/delta is also often used with a soft start switch on 230V.
    Last edited by Halgeir Wold; 11-29-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I have two large transformers in my shop to convert my native 208v 3ph to 460v and 600v. In a nutshell: They each have multiple taps to allow you to dial in the voltage out within a range. These transformers are sized by capacity using KVA (V*A / 1000). You can wire them up in between the breaker box and the motor, using a low voltage breaker and wiring sized for at least double what the motor requires if you are doubling the voltage. From the transformer to the motor, you can use smaller gauge wire, since the amperage is about half.
    JR

wadkin motor are run on 50hrz /60hzs so there is not a problem there. As other have said they will run 1/6 faster. faster is not a problem for the planer. step up transformers should be size 1.5 Kva for every HP so a 9 KVA would be ideal. You really need to over size these transformers when powered by a RPC so don't go by line power sizing. lastly here is Canada all wire and disconnect have to be 600 volt class and wire have 600 volt class insulation even control wire. fused Disconnects before and after the transformer are code. Not sure down here in the US.
    jack
    English machines