Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use Sketchup For Woodworkers?

Anyone Use Sketchup For Woodworkers?

Does it work well and is it easy to use? Is it really free and where do I download it? I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm a bit worried that this will overpower my senile, analog brain.
    Is Sketchup For Woodworkers different from a regular Sketchup? How so?

Blog Entries
    Sketchup for Woodworkers is not software. It is a video package produced by Popular Woodworking showing how to use Sketchup for woodworking applications.

It is a good tutorial, but it was made using an older version of Sketchup and may not be current in all applications. Fine Woodworking also has a tutorial and I think Dave Richards had something to do with it. Dave is a good source for how-to knowledge.

Dave Richards, a fellow Creeker, is a FWW Contributor for Sketchup. He did a series of videos about using Sketchup for woodworking for FWW that are sold there.

He is more than generous with his time here at SMC helping those with Sketchup problems.

Is Sketchup a valuable tool for woodworkers? It can be very valuable for those who take the time to learn to use it. With the aid of Dave's videos, the learning curve is dramatically reduced.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-29-2014 at 1:35 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes, it really is free. You can download it here

http://www.sketchup.com/

There is also a paid, pro version. I've never needed any more than the free version + some plugins offer.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I never used any tutorials - just downloaded and started playing with it. Having used a number of CAD and drawing packages before, SU's learning curve was brief for me. It does have some unintuitive aspects but, over all, it is a wonderful tool for creating a design.

I am getting better and better at SketchUp. It still amazes me that it has continued to be free. SketchUp for Woodworkers is still relevant. It is a fast tutorial basically. There are some key concepts in there that I have started to master like components vs. groups. You HAVE to learn to use shortcuts and key concepts in how to work in the interface or you will just beat your head against your keyboard trying to learn it. There are a TON of free tutorials and forums like this to ask/answer questions.

I have purchased SketchList 3D Pro. The guy who owns the business, Dave, has offered me a free 1:1 session to get going on the software which is pretty generous. It is not as freeform as SketchUp which may be good for some people but I am going to give it a whirl and see how it works. I am hoping that the cut lists and 3D rendering is a little better than the free SketchUp plug-ins.

Will the download work on MacBook?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Will the download work on MacBook?
    Works on mine. Only if I could figure out how to REALLY use it. Still pencil to paper for me, for now.

I really like SketchUp. Initially I just picked a fairly simple project to design using SketchUp, and found it to be pretty intuitive. The project was my "MFT-XL". I wanted a permanent workbench in my shop that had an MDF top with 20mm holes, similar to Festool's MFT/3 workbench. I CNC'd the top from a full sheet of MDF, but reduced overall size to 36" X 84". I designed the frame with 2X4 framework and 4X4 legs. Nothing fancy, but it is pretty robust and does the job. It also doubles as the out-feed table for my table saw.

My second design was a rolling cart for a DeWalt planer, and I planned to use my MFT-style workbench as the planer's outfeed table. The best learning experience for me was to model the DeWalt planer. Wow, that took some time. Once I was done I discovered that there are LOTS of 3D models for SketchUp, and I found a highly detailed model of the planer! But, that design effort was well worth it for the added experience I got. I imported the library model into my design for the cart frame. I have been sidelined with other projects and have not built the planer cart yet, but hope to build it before too long.

If anyone is interested to see my bench you could search on MFT-XL, since I believe I used that terminology.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 11-30-2014 at 8:51 PM.

Please note that if you're not choosing to pay for it, you probably want to use an older version --- the new ``free'' Maker version is license-encumbered and may not be used in a commercial setting or to make things for sale --- see the fine print in the license for the details.

I haven't built a project without it since I can remember. Don't know about "Sketchup for woodworkers" but I bought the Dave Richard's ebook "Sketchup guide for woodworkers"....best $12 or so dollars I've spent on a book. Really changed the way I use the tool, made a lot of things clear to me that were not from my hunt and peck experimentation and more general sketch up guides I had read. The FWW blog "Design, Click, Build" is also very helpful on more advanced topics, you can keep growing your knowledge of specific advanced techniques with that avenue, also lots of input there from Dave Richards.

Ive used sketch up on both mac and pc.....works great on the Macbook pro I'm on now. I don't like doing anything on a PC, but I found it a bit more clumsy on the PC version, even after finding everything.

A few thoughts. If you don't already know how to draw, a computer won't make it easier. Just different. You will still need to know how to draw or learn, which involves seeing. Editing is much quicker, things can be done very accurately, but you still have to be able to see it and follow it mentally to product complete drawings. I tried to show somebody a few things once that had no drafting experience but lots of computer experience......hard road. Which leads to my next conclusion.....using a computer will not instantly make you a good designer if you are not already. It makes getting designs on paper, or screen, fairly quick and efficient, but it can also be a great distraction at first as learning the software becomes as much the project as designing things to be made from wood. Its a great tool once you get it under your belt, lots of support in the sketch up community, if its your first foray into computer design software its fairly accessible but not fully self explanatory, so do reach out for education to easy the learning curve.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I've used it for several years. I'm not really rigorous and actually draw individual pieces with mortises and tenons then fit them together. I draw the finished
    project to get the dimensions and proportions right. I take the dimensions from the drawings and adjust them for the required joints.

The ROI has been enormous.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barrett View Post
    I never used any tutorials - just downloaded and started playing with it. Having used a number of CAD and drawing packages before, SU's learning curve was brief for me. It does have some unintuitive aspects but, over all, it is a wonderful tool for creating a design.
    Really? This just supports my theory about learning how to use Sketchup being more of a God given talent like playing a musical instrument of playing sports. Either you can do it or you can't. Unfortunately I fall into the can't category. I have seriously tried to learn how to use Sketchup at least twice and have failed both times. A pencil, ruler, and graph paper have always proved to be MUCH faster (like about 5-10 times!) than Sketchup for me.
    Actually, I am planning on giving it another try after I retire in 2 years.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-01-2014 at 4:56 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's not knowledge that anybody is born with, just familiarity with 3D modelling and drawing tools that makes it seem easier for some. Just takes practice for everybody else, and sometimes a good teacher or tutorial.
    You might want to check out some of Jay Bates' videos on SketchUp. He has some instructional videos that make it look really easy: http://jayscustomcreations.com/category/sketchup/
    ~Garth

I love love LOVE Sketch-Up!! From drawing up rooms with cabinets in it to figuring out how to best cut up a sheet of plywood, it is easily just as valuable a tool as my table saw!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.