Thread: mounting wilton wood vise on bench

mounting wilton wood vise on bench

Hello everyone,

I bought off craigslist an old Wilton Wood Vise, meant to be attached to a table bench. The vise looks similar to this one: eBay #201214955463. I think I need only two screws to drill into the wood in order to mount it. Can someone tell me what kind of screws I need in order to do this? I've read online that I should use lag screws. Does that mean that I would have to drill from the top and have the top of the screw exposed?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-30-2014 at 1:30 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

Not sure if this is the best way to do it but it has worked fine for me. I used two lag bolts (think 1/2") attached from the bottom with washers. On the front or face of the vice I used two long wood screws to secure it in the front using the recessed holes. My setup neded a piece of 1/2" plywood as a spacer under the bench top. Hope this helps. No holes were needed on the top of the bench.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I did mine exactly like Jebediah, except I recessed the rear jaw into the edge of my bench.
    Works great for me.
    Paul

Mine is like the above, but I used bolts through the top of the table for the bottom ears, and put the final table top over them. My bench is several layers of Part board.

Rick P

thats a pretty good idea to secure it to the front of the bench like that. i could do that however I use those two holes to secure a piece of wood in between the jaws so its wood on wood contact, and the screw is from the outside going into the jaw. I see in the picture that you have two smaller holes at the rear jaw. I was wondering if you predrilled those yourself or not. I could drill those in too, and in that way I could achieve the same effect, just not sure if my drill bits could handle metal of that form.

All my Wilton's came with the extra countersunk holes, along with the holes to secure wood jaws. I did not add them, I just checked the others. I'm not sure how hard it is to drill through, I never tried.

good luck.

You could always use the two holes you have to attach it to the face of the benchtop. Just use some earth magnets to secure the wooden jaws? Maybe way easier then trying to drill extra holes?

Or you could just use longer screws and use the same 2 screws to attaches the jaw and attach the vise to the bench.