Thread: Not so traditional saws. :)

Not so traditional saws. :)

These were posted on another site. But I decided to see what some folks thought of them.:
    Drawn up some time back. This little prototype of sorts has been living in a CAD drawing world and in my head, for a long time. A 20, 22, 24" and 26" in all, with 0.035 to 0.042" thick plates. I found no significant difference in the balance between a skew back and straight back. Other than an attempt to save steel, once upon a time. So I went with a straight back. Besides, it gives me a handy straight edge. Only made the one. The handle and saw plate hopefully don't look like anything out there. But has influence from Diston #12, Atkins and Monhagon ( did I spell that correctly? )
    25.5" tapered plate 0.042" thick with a 24" tooth line. A more traditional plate was drawn up. But since when have I ever really been traditional?
    Tapered to approx 0.038" spine just in front of the tote going down to 0.034" above the toe end. The engraving was some thing thrown in for the gent the saw goes to. Just because. Not sure if I will make anymore. Time will tell. Filed 11ppi x cut.
    It has a few mistakes from getting into too much of a hurry. But you get the idea. The tote is a size small, cross cut tote, btw.
    IMG_1930_zps254a503c.jpgIMG_1931_zps5be4186b.jpg
    The second is just one of my Regan Half Backs with a lambs tongue added. Another one I drew up some time back. I used black Mother of pearl to see what it would look like. It will be brass for the owner who graciously allowed me to try my altered Regan style. Filed 10ppi, 15* rake and 20* fleam. ( pretty standard )
    IMG_1934_zps3be7f3f7.jpg Any thoughts?

Oh darn, your half-backs just make me drool.

I imagine whatever it is, it's beyond the home hobbiest, but I'm curious how you're tapering the plates, Ron.

Either way, not my preferred style, but I really love these. Nice work, Ron!

Blog Entries
    Amazing work. Now THAT is a decorative nib!

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking group of saws.

I'd be afraid to use them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The new Regan handle is sharp.

All that fancy engraving on the plate?
    I dunno....pretty flashy, for my taste.

Excellent, as usual, Ron!
    Maurice

I'd be framing those saws.
    As usual, excellent work.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Ron, one of your half backs in on my bucket list - as soon as I get that bucket filled with dollars that is. I particularly like that last one.

Blog Entries
    absolutely beautiful Ron as usual – thanks for posting the pictures.