Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese vendor: Sinmic impressions youtube series

Chinese vendor: Sinmic impressions youtube series

Hi all,

I haven't seen any information about the vendor that call themselves "Sinmic." I purchased a K40-style laser machine from them. I've recorded basically everything that I've done with it so far and my impressions. Ultimately, I don't really recommend doing business with them. At a minimum, they're guilty of pretty egregious specification embellishment. I posted the first video last Wednesday, and I'm expecting to post one a week until at least February.

Very good Will and I'm looking forward to seeing the next part.

A few points:

The machine is shown as CE marked (for sale within the European Community as safe for purpose)

Initially I noticed two BIG holes in that...

There are no bonding straps between the moving doors and the main body of the machine,
    The cabinet can be opened allowing access to the electrical components when under power,
    The Tube cover can be opened when under electrical power giving direct access to both high voltage and radiation producing sources,
    The guarding can be opened when the tube is lasing (no door interlock),
    There are no radiation hazard warnings fixed to the case or work area,
    The machine holds a plate saying laser engraving "Machine" (more on that in a minute).

That's just a few observations.

I just had a friend who is an HSE inspector watch the video, his only comment was "If you fit one of those in here I will shut you down"

The term "machine" for the purposes of CE requirements requires that "Machinery" conforms to both electrical and radiation hazard laws here for use in an industrial environment, this machine does not thus the CE marking is invalid (without it this equipment cannot be imported into an EU country legally)

UK HSE laws http://www.hse.gov.uk/guidance/index.htm

without bothering to look at the numerous laws that this junk pile is in breech of it does beg the question "How are these kind of things permitted to be imported"

For personal use inside the EU it is likely people will get away with it, the problem is when people come to sell them, the penalties for selling non conforming machines include fines of up to £5,000 ($7,500) and 6 months in prison for each violation.

I've personally seen one case where a young lady was fined so heavily she lost her house (£150,000 in accrued fines) and had her equipment confiscated & destroyed.

If a supplier can outright LIE about CE conformance then that does beg the question...what else are they lying about?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

And of course the UL approval rating when the wiring is not even close to any US electrical Code. Seems like if you can buy (make) the decal and stick it on the machine, that's all you need.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Very good Will and I'm looking forward to seeing the next part.

A few points:

The machine is shown as CE marked (for sale within the European Community as safe for purpose)

Initially I noticed two BIG holes in that...

There are no bonding straps between the moving doors and the main body of the machine,
    The cabinet can be opened allowing access to the electrical components when under power,
    The Tube cover can be opened when under electrical power giving direct access to both high voltage and radiation producing sources,
    The guarding can be opened when the tube is lasing (no door interlock),
    There are no radiation hazard warnings fixed to the case or work area,
    The machine holds a plate saying laser engraving "Machine" (more on that in a minute).

That's just a few observations.

I just had a friend who is an HSE inspector watch the video, his only comment was "If you fit one of those in here I will shut you down"

The term "machine" for the purposes of CE requirements requires that "Machinery" conforms to both electrical and radiation hazard laws here for use in an industrial environment, this machine does not thus the CE marking is invalid (without it this equipment cannot be imported into an EU country legally)

UK HSE laws http://www.hse.gov.uk/guidance/index.htm

without bothering to look at the numerous laws that this junk pile is in breech of it does beg the question "How are these kind of things permitted to be imported"

For personal use inside the EU it is likely people will get away with it, the problem is when people come to sell them, the penalties for selling non conforming machines include fines of up to £5,000 ($7,500) and 6 months in prison for each violation.

I've personally seen one case where a young lady was fined so heavily she lost her house (£150,000 in accrued fines) and had her equipment confiscated & destroyed.

If a supplier can outright LIE about CE conformance then that does beg the question...what else are they lying about?

cheers

Dave
    Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback. It's a good thing that I'm not reselling (or otherwise trying to make money with) this machine!!

Being in the US, I can say that the only hurdle during importation amounted to the laser tube mfg. (not the machine mfg.) saying "the tube output is what we said it was, we promise." Then I filed that paper with the FDA. Other than that, customs got their cut and I was done with it. If you think what you saw in the first video was bad, just wait until this coming Wednesday. I teardown the included 110-220v step-up converter that was included. There's no way that thing is even remotely safe. I just threw it away. Interestingly, the replacement I bought on Amazon.com was better but not really what I would want it to be. Also, it included a sketchy CE logo. In that case, it was sold by amazon, so I think that they do have some liability in selling it if it wasn't in compliance.

Wasn't there a case recently in the UK of a woman buying a 5v usb phone charger that died while she was listening to music with her headphones while it was plugged in. I think she bought it retail at a drug store (chemist in the UK?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    And of course the UL approval rating when the wiring is not even close to any US electrical Code. Seems like if you can buy (make) the decal and stick it on the machine, that's all you need.
    What kind of stuff should I fix to make it safer? I'm building a new controller for the machine, and I'll be re-wiring it. I'm already planning on adding interlocks to all the doors. I'll add the ground straps for the doors, that's a good idea.

I'm considering having the switches on the tube access panel and the electronics bay kill the mains, and having the work area disable the laser (through the power supplies protection circuit).

The biggest issue I noted was the use of 120 volt plugs for 240 volt connections. And of course using a Green wire for power which is a big no. The UL approval process I know very little about. If the machine is made from actual UL approved parts that would be a different story.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You can be sure the Chinese machines do not have blanket UL approval. If there is anything on them that has UL approval it's likely to be a switch, motor or other electronics part.

UL approval is a lengthy process and the machine must be sent to Oakbrook, IL USA for testing and evaluation.

Whenever we introduced a new appliance we had to go through the UL process and it's a slow process and you can't buy your way to a speedier inspection and approval. Once you have approval you can produce derivatives and just get approval on the derivations.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

UL approval is no joke, as a manufacturer of electrical signs we have to be UL certified, we have an inspector come out every 2 months to check up and look inside our sign cans to make sure everything is up to code, our supervisor goes through many hours of study and training and labels are kept under lock and key. If a sign catches fire and and it doesn't have a UL label on it, WE are the ones responsible! BTW, UL labels have serial numbers on them that are given out by UL, you can fake them but if you're caught I imagine there would some serious consequences, unless you're from China of course.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillips View Post
    UL approval is no joke, as a manufacturer of electrical signs we have to be UL certified, we have an inspector come out every 2 months to check up and look inside our sign cans to make sure everything is up to code, our supervisor goes through many hours of study and training and labels are kept under lock and key. If a sign catches fire and and it doesn't have a UL label on it, WE are the ones responsible! BTW, UL labels have serial numbers on them that are given out by UL, you can fake them but if you're caught I imagine there would some serious consequences, unless you're from China of course.

That's really the problem with the whole deal, isn't it? How much trust can we have in a label that is very easily copied in a place that is (most likely, IANAL) jurisdictionally out-of-reach? Especially considering the factories that produce some of the counterfeit-labeled devices produce legitimate goods as well. It's scary in some sense that it has become the responsibility of the consumer to evaluate for themselves whether something is safe. I've purchased things in large chain stores in the US that make my skin crawl when I open them up. I have to wonder how they ended up there and whether they have been honestly checked out.

The only reason was comfortable buying this unit is because I'm fairly comfortable with electronic things, and I know enough to be afraid of them.

By the way, I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but from the factory, the electronics bay and the tube bay doors were screwed shut. That might help with the CE thing (probably not enough).

Want a giggle?

You can buy fake RECI tubes now! China is even copying their own stuff!
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    That is a real giggle Dave! I wonder what a Chinese manual translated poorly into English looks like when it is translated back into Chinese?

Hmmmmmm.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Like a half dead spider has crawled through an ink blot usually
    You did what !

I just posted part 2. If you thought the construction seen in part 1 was bad, you're in for a shock (pun definitely intended).

This video follows me through several tests relating to the water-cooling system of the laser engraver. I also tear-down a pair of impeller-based water pumps. Finally, I fill the system with water and check for leaks. What fun!

I do have a question for the experts. I really, really want to keep that flow sensor in the loop, but I'm worried about flow restriction.

In practical terms, how much fluid flow is necessary to keep the laser gasses cool enough? It seems like the water temperature isn't appreciably increasing, however in the case of zero water flow, the reservoir water wouldn't increase, so that's not necessarily meaningful.

In the video you can see where I installed a thermocouple to measure the glass temperature. I tried to pick an area where there isn't a water jacket, but is as central as possible. I'm hoping that the internal part of the tube's glass construction is close to the same temperature as glass isn't an awesome conductor of temperature, but it doesn't suck either. Is this going to give me somewhat meaningful information about tube temperature?

So I have a k40 III a few years ago. Mine came in good condition now problem really. Although I shielded the tube. Some laser come with a rubber shielth, some don't. But I insulated it anyways. While not very good for doing professional stuff, I had a lot of fun with it. It would cut 3/16 reliably, and could engrave small items pretty good. I am glad I purchased it. It gave me a good sense as how the china stuff it built, and prepare me for my bigger china laser when it arrived.

But whether you have a US laser, a China laser or other. Always be sure to stay with your laser when it's working. Fires don't care where the unit was made, whether bad electrical work(china) or just a flare up. A local laser company about 1 town from me left their laser for only a few moments, and there shop was an entire loss!
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt