Thread: Quicken questions

Quicken questions

Due to circumstances beyond my control I will be in complete control of my own finances for the first time in about 20 years. I used Quicken and liked it about 15 years ago. Some questions; is this a complete working version? (QUICKEN) I am thinking of just doing a download. I will be a new Amazon customer, it was in my wife's name prior, not sure if that matters. Can you write checks using this program, or do you still need to hand write checks?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

You can write checks with Quicken but you'll have to buy printable checks.

Here's my two cents: if you're still in the same income boat as posted on your other thread, I would forgo Quicken altogether and save the cash. A simple Excel spreadsheet or the basic check register will account for everything you need. It only requires your due diligence. One can't procrastinate making record entries when nickels and dimes count and could cost an overdraft fee of $25-$35. I've been there.

Here's a link to a budget sheet for Excel or OpenOffice (a free open source version of Microsoft Office): http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplat...readsheet.html

Good luck
    -Lud

Also check witn your financial institution. Mine offers some online tools that will do most of what you're asking Quicken to do. There are other tools that my bank offers that could help in your situation. I read your other thread so I am familiar with why you are asking. Pleae feel free to pm me and I can offer some insight into the tools offered.

I only realized recently how valuabe a good bank with good online tools can be a benefit. Some of these same tools will benefit you and I am sure you can either find that your bank has them or find a bank that does.

Our neighborhood association tried Quick books. It got to be such a PITA we dropped it.
    Our daughter is a CPA and tax manager for Gambro/Baxter. She had nothing good to say about it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Spreadsheet is the way I'd go. If I had cash flow and tax needs, I'd make a spreadsheet and put an indicator for each transaction (or more than one) and make pivot tables to summarize activity when it's reporting time.

$24 for the starter edition of Quicken is a fraction of the price of buying Excel and is is so much easier to learn and use that the chances of actually doing it are dramatically improved. (I've used Excel a good fraction of the day every day for the last 20+ years, and I still fight with it constantly!) I have my problems with Quicken, but it makes basic money tracking simple and as pleasant as it can probably be. No need for the higher end versions, they just add useless bells and whistles.

Quickbooks is a full-fledged accounting system for use by small businesses that has almost nothing in common with Quicken--completely inappropriate for personal finance tracking. Pros who like things like SAP will also hate Quickbooks. We run our business on it and it's fine, but does have a steep learning curve.

You can print checks, but I haven't had to for the last five years, using electronic funds transfers for everything. Paper checks will be done and gone in just a couple more years (I hope). My wife tried to use one at the grocery last week and they just scanned it and handed it back to her. One more nail.

Tracking can be much simplified by putting everything onto a credit card (one with no fee that gives you cash back) and, *without fail*, paying that bill in full every month. You can then download all the transactions and know where pretty much all your money has gone. If you think there is any doubt that you can pay the bill in full every month, don't do this. Carry a paper tablet or download a free tracking app for your phone instead.

My wife tried Quicken for a couple years after we had used Money for ten and she hated it. She now uses a combination of our bank's online services and Mint.com.

It appears the mint.com is cloud based. I would not use something cloud based for my personal financial info, it is at enough risk on my own computer.

Just my .02's
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Better keep your money under the mattress then because whether you use it or not, your financial information is already in the cloud.

I use Fidelity Investments as my bank. Their online services are great. I use their debit card, its protected, and I never pay a service fee, they reimburse all service fee's. I use their Bill pay service and and never have to write a check they do it all for me free of charge and I have a complete record of every dime I spend and where I spent it.Doesn't get much easier then that.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

THanks for the responses. I think for now I will use an excel spreadsheet and see what my credit union offers for paying bills.
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 12-01-2014 at 6:40 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Just FYI- MS Money was discontinued a few years ago but they have the program available (Without the on-line features) Free to download.
    Great program if all you need is something basic to keep track of things.
    I let all my online accounts do the detail stuff with each company. I use MONEY to enter my balances, keep track if I transfer things around. It is a great way to keep a checkbook too.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=20738
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It seems as though you've gone a different route, Moses, but to answer your original question:

https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/977...n-2007-for-mac
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore