Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley website crashes under the strain of Cyber Monday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    Nothing personal at all guys but really, asking them to change a sale time/date is silly. It is cyber monday and everybody gets the same rules to play by and it is the same every year. If you move it for one demographic, it will annoy another. If it doesn't work for you, so be it. The reality is everything gets sold so it isn't like it is going to make it a more successful sale for the company. You are all basically just asking for them to bend around your own desires which is kind of self centered.
    Wait . . . what? You mean that Kohl's is going to ignore my email asking them to not open at 5am because I don't want to get up early to go to the sale!?! Why those unsympathetic so-and-so's .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yeah, I'm on Eastern time and I stayed up for it. Then I got to get up for work four hours later. It's like anything else, if you really want it then you will deal with it. Everyone knows the rules ahead of time. If it started earlier, the initial hit on the web site would be even worse.

I suspect the LV IT department will be on a bit higher alert next year...

Just an fyi, most companies dont apologize...so cheers for Lee Valley for addressing their customers and continue to try to improve
    Last edited by Mike Tekin; 12-02-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Adam

I do not know enough to check the site code. Can you say how?

The website has a firewall that is checked regularly. It was checked today. Nothing showed up. That does not mean there is nothing there - just nothing that the scan does not show anything.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    You can get the new code from the web pages and compare it to a known good copy. Since you're on a Mac, you can look for "diff" tools that will compare two files and show you the differences.

Or you can just go through and look for things that reference something not from your site.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I worked retail for over 20 years.
    However way we would try to make a Black Friday sale fair, to some, it was always the wrong way to do it.
    Take the suggestion for the sale to start at 8pm on Sunday. Guarantee the 2nd shift workers would not like that idea.

I forgot to check last night for the deals and missed out. Glad some got in on the deals.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I worked retail for over 20 years.
    However way we would try to make a Black Friday sale fair, to some, it was always the wrong way to do it.
    Take the suggestion for the sale to start at 8pm on Sunday. Guarantee the 2nd shift workers would not like that idea.
    +1. LV has a worldwide customer base. No matter what time of day, it will be inconvenient somewhere.

Personally, I don't object to setting an alarm and getting up in the middle of the night to buy a good tool online. The tough thing was getting up and then hitting the computer snags. But Rob already apologized and explained, and Im betting that wont ever happen again.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-01-2014 at 9:27 PM. Reason: rephrased
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Milisavljevic View Post
    Actually... going to http://leevalley.com always results in language selector in different browsers on multiple computers.
    Then why do you keep going there? Just go to the dub dub dub address and get on with it.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Because typing "le" is enough to get my browser to offer leevalley.com. Otherwise I'd have to type "www.le", which is a staggering 200% more keystrokes. So I have a difficult decision between those extra keystrokes or moving my finger on trackpad and tapping "English Canada" button.

But really why I'm mentioning it is that when you do something for living and you are perfectionist about it, it gets annoying to deal with same small annoyance over and over. It is clear that current behavior could not have been intended by design as best user interaction so after many months trying to decide whether I should bother someone with this little thing or just live with it, I decided to let it all out and bother all of internet.

There is a way.

If you delete ALL Lee Valley URLs from your browsing history and then go to the www.leevalley.com/CN/Home.aspx page.

Thereafter when you start typing 'Lee' the full URL should pop-up for you to choose. Of course you may very well be using Internet Exploder which does it's own thing but on Chrome and Firefox this behaviour is consistent, even across multiple computers.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thank you for that suggestion because it allows me to say "tree", which will make it seem like this may be related to woodworking. Namely:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

That is, if I make my browser work as you describe and am not affected by this problem, will the problem still exist? And would the universe be less likely to unravel if it was fixed?

Blog Entries
    This thread is getting silly. It crashed at midnight ET due to too many hits, so let's move it to a time where it can get even more hits? ...or let's spread the sale out all day so people can crash the site all day long?

Set the alarm, get up at midnight ET, buy cool tools, go back to bed. The crash was frustrating, but I think it weeded the men from the boys. :-) I'm on Atlantic time, so for me it was 1 AM. I ended up just staying up and getting some work done.

What other company has a CEO (? President? "Higher-Up") that comes on a public forum to apologize and answer questions?

Because typing "le" is enough to get my browser to offer leevalley.com. Otherwise I'd have to type "www.le", which is a staggering 200% more keystrokes. So I have a difficult decision between those extra keystrokes or moving my finger on trackpad and tapping "English Canada" button.

But really why I'm mentioning it is that when you do something for living and you are perfectionist about it, it gets annoying to deal with same small annoyance over and over. It is clear that current behavior could not have been intended by design as best user interaction so after many months trying to decide whether I should bother someone with this little thing or just live with it, I decided to let it all out and bother all of internet.
    I go to leevalley.com (without the www) all the time and never get the language screen (after the very first time). There must be something wrong with your cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    I go to leevalley.com (without the www) all the time and never get the language screen (after the very first time). There must be something wrong with your cookie.
    I believe your browser is tricking you, by adding www. automatically, as described by Hilton in post #54. If you click here I am willing to bet a small but reasonable sum you will get asked for language.

I just got an email from LV to tell me they set it up to redirect from leevalley.com to www.leevalley.com before prompting for language selector. Then the existing mechanism kicks in, and you get redirected to your desired language. Sadly, this leaves me with nothing to complain about.
    Last edited by Marko Milisavljevic; 12-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I just got an email from LV to tell me they set it up to redirect from leevalley.com to www.leevalley.com before prompting for language selector. Then the existing mechanism kicks in, and you get redirected to your desired language. Sadly, this leaves me with nothing to complain about.

Probably is done with an DNS alias to redirect to WWW.LeeValley.com