Thread: Thoughts on design question

Thoughts on design question

I am building an entertainment center for my living room. I have already built and installed the lower section but I discovered a problem with the upper section. The two narrow shelf units on both sides will sit in between studs! The center upper unit will have six studs available to secure it. I was thinking that I will screw some cleats across the top joining the two side units to the center unit and screw from the two sides into the center cabinet sides. Would you think this will be enough to secure the two side cabinets? Also, they aren't really that deep and I was wondering if they are gonna be stiff enough for the sides to not move. I was thinking about trying to somehow secure the face frames to the top of the lower unit. Any suggestions on that?
    IMG_20141128_210952101.jpgEntertainment Center.jpg

FWIW, I'd screw the sides to the center unit, attach the center unit to the studs and call it a day. The sides are carrying a vertical load and if they are attached to the center, the center being attached to the studs will resist any side to side loads. If you're worried about the lower ends of the verticals shifting, a couple of screws up through the top of your lower unit into the sides of your verticals should keep things in place.

A single screw in that upper would technically do all you need (after its screwed together). If you have six studs on the back of the center your fine to hit the two outers and be done.