Thread: Another W. Butcher item in the shop

Another W. Butcher item in the shop

Just $5 for this 16-1/2" long plane. IMAG0064.jpg

Fellow has a 2-1/8" wide, tapered iron, with a chipbreaker that is just angled, no rounded "hump". Bolt to hold them is HUGE. Photos are after a good clean up, and about 6 coats of BLO. Thing was VERY dried out.

Has a BIG mouth.
    IMAG0060.jpg
    The Carrol Channing of Jack planes? I ground the edge of the iron to a decent camber, maybe about a 9" or so. Seemed to do ok on a test track of barn wood fir. Handle is offset a bit to the right
    IMAG0062.jpg
    and has a nail to hold it in place....

Sole is worn at an angle, like the owner had run this plane at the angle for years. I did get some of it planed away, but, seems to be the way this plane works best. Kind of smallish, compared to the 22" Try plane from Ohio Tool Co. IMAG0065.jpg ah, yep. No other markings on this plane, other than the "W. Butcher" on the iron and chipbreaker. Might be worth the $5

If the iron isn't pitted and you have an inch or so of hard steel, you got your money's worth.

The sole is probably angled due to errant flattening, and the mouth is probably large because a lot of the sole has been flattened away and double iron planes don't have a wear that closely follows the irons.

I'd patch the mouth to avoid ripping the ends or corners off of something by accident, and then put it to work.

The cap iron is correct, by the way. Most of the older cap irons, and even the newer old-style english ones (made probably until the mid 1900s) have a large screw and a large fixture that sticks out of the cap irons to hold them.

The cap irons don't have a hump because the wedge fingers need to fit flush against the cap iron to avoid a choke point (just as the fingers need to sit flush against a single iron).

I so badly still need to get up to see your plane collection. Life got in the way before. Nice find....

I'm home about any morning to late afternoon, since I worked night shift. 1900 to 0710, 7 out of every 14 days....

I too am a W. Butcher collector. I have found the cast steel to be of excellent quality.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    At last count I have about 200 planes, I've added about 70 in the last month or so…
    Steven,
    Whats you count now? You are always adding to your collection.

Head count is usually around 20-25. Buy a few, sell a few to buy a few sort of thing. Wooden planes: Stanley #31 Jointer, a Ohio Tool Co. #81 Try, a homemade Jack in a chinese style, a Ohio Tool Co. 8" Coffin smoother, and a Traditional Chinese Edge plane. Have a Trans Jack on the way this week.

IF you look at the plane till I made, it holds all but 6 of my iron bench planes, plus I have just 4 block planes. All the planes are vintage.