Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would this work for dust collection "Aluminum Flex Duct"

would this work for dust collection "Aluminum Flex Duct"

I used something similair for my dryer vent this is 6 inch and very inexspensive. currently I have 4 inch plastic flex tubing from harbor freight that comes in the dust collection kit. this is 14$ for 8 ft

http://www.lowes.com/pd_328917-131-L...ductId=3240913

It'll get sucked flat fairly quickly. Also, flex pipe should be kept to a minimum in any system. It's very lossy in air flow.

+1 with Tom.

Blog Entries
    +1 here too. My DC would suck that structure flat. How much 6" hose do you want to run? I only run it for the last few inches after the duct to allow wiggle room. For longer hose runs (from the ducting up over the top of a drum sander or to swing between two closely positioned machines) I drop to 4" clear wire helix hose like Rockler and others have on sale so often. I think the last couple pieces I picked up on sale were about $20 each.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

ok thanks, right now I don't have enough money to invest in getting it set up right. I was just hoping this would work. I am also not sure if I want to keep my machines setup as they are now. So I don't want to duct it in yet.

I used that for my planer dust collection to replace palstic flex.

It works well and of course it's electrically conductive.

My installation was all metal duct except for the last bit that was plastic flex. Every time I bent over to pick up the peice from the planer I would receive a static discharge to my head.

It didn't take me long to replace the plastic with the aluminum flex.

As others have said, keep the amount of flex to a minimum................Rod.

Cody,

I would be hesitant to use the stuff. The specifications didn't show it's gauge. Check this thread, post #43 where Creeker John Keeton accidentally got a lighter gauge steel piping and turned on his 2. 5 HP Oneida DC http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...project!/page2 .
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've had a 3' length of 6" connected to my tablesaw and another 3' length of 6" to my planner for 2 years now. Neither has ever been close to "sucked flat", in fact both have performed quite well (maybe I just don't have enough suck). While I fully acknowledge and understand limiting ribbed ducting, both connections provide the flexability/mobility that my shop requires.

The stuff I have is really pretty rigid, it stands and holds it's shape on it's own. Got it at HD or Lowes in the HVAC department.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 12-02-2014 at 3:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Some flex is made for it. My DC would flatten that dryer vent in a couple of seconds. I use 6" flex, for a short run, that I bought from one of the cyclone manufacturers, but don't remember which one.

It will not flatten the duct but all the ribs in it cause a lot of turbulence and restriction of air flow.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Even if it didn't get squashed,( and it will get squashed) the wood chips flying through that hose would tear it apart in no time.

I'll send you the $14. Try it and let us know what happens . Given the difference of opinions I'm curious to see the results.

If I get a chance to stop by lowes I think I will pick it up and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    If I get a chance to stop by lowes I think I will pick it up and try it out.
    I've looked at that too. I'm pretty sure it won't collapse - it seems pretty stiff - and it seems smoother inside than any plastic flex I've had. There are of course shallow depressions and probably more per foot than plastic. It'd be interesting to compare the turbulence in the aluminum stuff vs. turbulence in plastic flex hose. I have no idea how to do that. It also didn't seem that the aluminum duct was as flexible as plastic flex hose.

Edit: There are two different kinds of aluminum 'duct'. One seems like aluminized flexible plastic and would certaintly collapse. The stuff at Lowes is solid metal that seems less prone to collapsing but is not nearly as flexible as the the aluminized plastic hose..
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-04-2014 at 7:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I used some 7" from HD for my final connection to the cyclone, but it is out of the way and won't get stepped on like my 5" plastic on the floor to my TS. The tag said it was rated for 6" of static suction, I presumed that included a fat safety factor plus it was so cheap I thought I would try it. 3 years later and it is still fine. My system pulls about 10" with all gates closed. Skip to about 2:30 to see the flex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8qwMqm3Ek
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    NOW you tell me...