Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powered respirator

Powered respirator

Powered respirator
    Has anyone ever tried one of these. If so what are your thoughts. I use the trend air shield pro at the lathe but for sanding regular wood working projects I find it kind of cumbersome. I smoked for a lot of years ( quit 2 years ago) and find paper and cartridge respirators hard to breathe through
    http://www.ptreeusa.com/safety_products.htm
    It is the 5th item down the powered respirator. I hope using a specific site does not break any rules.
    Thanks
    Al

Allan,

That is a commonly used item by turners.

I use the earlier version.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Do they work well. How about the fit with glasses

Again, Allan, I have an earlier version of that. It works well with glasses. Even with our summer heat which can often exceed 100ºF, it moves enough air to keep my glasses from being fogged up.

With your permission, I'll move this thread to the Turning Forum where it will probably get more replies.
    Ken

Please go ahead and move. You are talking about the half respirator and not the trend air shield
    Thanks

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...at-works-great

This is a lot more comfortable than any kind of face respirator, and you can only breathe what air you put the "pump" in, that also is pulled through the filter. You do have to drag the hose around.

Allan..I am talking about the original Trend Air Shield....not the Air Shield Pro or the powered respirator.

My apologies Allan. After rereading your original post, you stated you use the Air Shield Pro at the lathe, find it cumbersome and are looking at the powered respirator as an alternative. If we don't get some responses in this forum, I will move the thread back to the General Woodworking Forum.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2014 at 4:00 PM.
    Ken

Alan, I have not used one of those, but anything that's going to give positive pressure will help with breathing, and the filters are probably better than the Trend which are not rated.

Another user on here used an old CPAP machine/mask and really liked it. My concern would be wearing it under a face shield when needed. Some face shields, like the one Harbor Freight sells, have plenty of room as they bulge out rather than being straight vertical.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

i use my trend when i am turning but when sanding at the lathe and sanding other wood working projects I am looking for something i don't have look through

Al

If you are talking about the power respirator mask I have one and use it when sanding as it is light. It works well and the batteries last a long time. If you have a big face it might be a little small but for me it performs well and I don't have the big helmet on my head.

I use the Triton Powered Respirator. It has a fanny pack filter/blower/battery, with a hose leading up to a lower rear port on a safety helmet that incorporates a face shield and hearing protection. It has washable and replaceable dust filters. It comes with a helmet shroud to further prevent dust from entering around the face mask, but I removed the shroud since the air flow inside the helmet and down over the forehead/face is already pushing most dust in the other direction.

I purchased it about 7 years ago when cutting a bunch of MDF. It continues to work well. My one issue with it is that a battery recharge is only good for about 3-4 hours. To extend the time, I plug the charger into a ceiling mounted drop down extension cord that gives me some mobility around the work area, and unlimited up time.

I don't know the filter specifications, but the difference between using the respirator and not is like day and night.
    Last edited by Rich Enders; 12-03-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Rich, you can probably build a better battery pack for your Triton than the one you purchased with it. Do a search and you can probably find a thread on it.

Wish they'd make a respirator to fit my big head... I liked the comfort of the Triton, but the bubble shield distorted the view, and the CFM was a little anemic. The AS Pro is too heavy on the head, and the lack of adjustment makes it hard for me to wear. The CFM and the flat shield is fine though. So whatcha gonna do?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually meant 3-4 hours instead of 30-45 minutes and have edited the post accordingly. I would still like more time.

one other option is a breathe cool. some don't like the fact it doesn't have any certifications on air flow, but I bought one and it works well. plenty of air flow. I bought the full face mask but am thinking of buying the helmet instead. I wear glasses and it works fine.

I've used an ancient Airmate PAPR with the yellow hard hat and belt pack motor/battery for nearly 20 years now. I bought it used, so I have no idea how old it is. I've replaced the battery a couple of times, upgraded the filter to HEPA, and upgraded the charger to a new version you can leave plugged in without overcharging the battery. Recently got a new unscratched plastic face shield for it, and I can see again!

It's very comfortable and works like a champ, much nicer than any other face mask I've tried. I use for turning, for general woodworking, and whenever I think I'm going to get into an unpleasant dust situation. The hard hat has saved me a couple hard knocks in the head while doing demolition work.

The batteries last over 8 hours when new, I replace them when their life drops to 2-3 hours. I love a product that still has replacement parts available 20 years later!