Thread: Plywood lamination question

Plywood lamination question

In making my drill press cabinet upgrade ( my first plywood cabinet project ) I noticed that there are now two types of wood laminated together to make the plywood. One type is laminations of all solid wood. The other type has a layer of what looks like MDF just under both of the the surface layers. Is one type better than the other? Is there an advantage to eather type?

Any thought on the matter?
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I think the solid core plywood is a bit better than "regular" plywood - they certainly charge a premium. But, for my money, Baltic Birch is the best. More hardwood and fewer voids. Not all birch plywood is true Baltic Birch though. Lots of similar names. You need to take a close look at the edges. You won't find it at a BORG, best to buy from specialty lumber yards.

Sounds like you might be looking at veneered mdf, not plywood.

combo core ply - the one with an MDF layer under the veneer is better for high quality show faces - the MDF gives a perfectly flat substrate so the veneer will not telegraph substrate imperfections to the visible surface. the mdf does not hold fasteners as well as the wood core. shop cabs are not the best use of combo core unless you have the stuff already laying around. I can get US made 4x8 sheets of baltic birch and that is the best material for shop cabinets IMHO.

Yes, combo core.

You are looking at the difference between "veneer core"--- ("regular" plywood) with an all-wood veneer core----and "combination core" which has a layer of mdf below the surface veneer, with layers of veneer in the center.

combo core is sort of a hybrid between standard "veneer core" and "mdf core"---it has the smooth face of mdf , but better fastener-holding ability than mdf core. It also costs more and weighs more than veneer core (in my area). I use combo core when the surface smoothness matters. I agree than Baltic Birch is great for shop cabinets.

Thanks for the tips guys. The combo core sheet was used for the drawer fronts and the cabinet top. The veneer core sheet was used for the remaining parts. I really did not notice the difference until I started to cut it. I will look closer next time I need plywood and will surely check out the baltic birch for some projects.

I used oak veneered plywood for the project because I already had enough oak hardwood for all of the necessary parts. There are pictures in this thread if you want to take a peek.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Press-Upgrade
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 12-05-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

MDF core is great for many types of cabinetry...no voids and really smooth stuff. (albeit heavy as all get-out) But it doesn't have the strength that lumber core has for a project like you are going to do. Use the lumber core product for that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim Becker--- I guess I'm picking nits here, but "lumber core" and "veneer core" are not the same thing. Lumber core is rare these days (at least I haven't seen any in quite a while)--made with strips of solid sawn lumber glued up and covered with veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Jim Becker--- I guess I'm picking nits here, but "lumber core" and "veneer core" are not the same thing. Lumber core is rare these days (at least I haven't seen any in quite a while)--made with strips of solid sawn lumber glued up and covered with veneer.
    You are indeed correct. I guess I was thinking more generically...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    My local home depot has on occasion lumber core/stave core with a luan (spelling?) looking veneer. Haven't used it, but I'm kinda curious. Seems like it would expand/contract alot as it doesn't appear to be core locked. One would need to be mindful.

Funny I thought lumber core wasn't made any more except by the cabinet maker - not commercial available - and here it is at HD.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I tried to google what lumber core/stave core is. Best I can make out, it is a cutting board with veneer on it. Why would that be preferred over plywood?

One application would be book shelves. Less deflection than plywood. But many of us have seen it specified for jobs where there is really no obvious advantage in using a more costly material.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 12-06-2014 at 9:32 PM.

Some cabinet shops will make there own stave core for certain projects, like full size doors for example. Last year I made my own stave core for a door on a smallish hanging cabinet that I veneered with my own shop cut veneer.

Like I mentioned its not that popular anymore, but I think when the maker wants more control over the product their crafting stave core might be called in to use.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....