Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to hate win8.1, suggestions?

Another reason to hate win8.1, suggestions?

Here's my latest issue: I open an explorer window, then open my camera's memory stick to check new pics, view set to THUMBNAILS. There's about a dozen pics I want to cut & paste to another folder on my network. But, when I open a second explorer window and open the second file, then half the thumbnails on the stick folder disappear, and the view options are grayed out, can't change them. And the second folder opens with view set to "list", and it's also locked... ???

This is no-brainer stuff for XP. But 8.1 can't figure out how to display thumnails in 2 folder windows??

As long as I open ONE window, I can do whatever I want. As soon as the second window is open, the view option on both folders is locked. Moving to sub-folders makes no change. I've searched google for some sort of answer, so far zilch.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to just install XP in this thing, or use it for target practice. I've found Windows 8(.1) to be about as useless as can of sand...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Didn't you read the disclaimer that using your computer for anything other than surfing the web, checking email or using Facebook qualifies you as a power user ? Power users have to use Windows 7. Stop trying to do such demanding, bleeding edge activities like opening more than one explorer window at a time . . . jeez! Pathetic, ain't it?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Microsoft is trying to migrate their user interface to a smartphone like operating system. I can't understand the rationale for that. If I want a glorified tablet OS, I will buy a Chromebook.

Hated 8 on a computer given to me so installed "Start 8" http://www.classicstart8.com/ Like it a lot and I can open multiple windows but don't know if it will solve your particular problem.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've found Windows 8(.1) to be about as useless as can of sand...
    That's selling the sand short I think.

Can't say on 8.1. Can say I don't have that issue on either 7 or on 10 tech preview.

Wow, I thought it was just my stupidity. I can hardly post photos with the new computer.

Rick P

xplorer2 is the answer http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

A twin pane file manager that simply works and no additional windows needed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I'm not sure about licensing here. A license for a Windows version used to also permit installation of previous Windows versions. There is a way to download and install a legit version of Windows 7 if you already have a license. I don't know if a Windows 8 key would activate Windows 7. Here is a link to a Microsoft site for Win7 downloads. Being a Microsoft site, I believe it to be legit.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-1c8486a46ebf

A new harddrive and an OEM version of windows 7 would be the way I'd go. I've had about 20 minutes of exposure to windows 8, just trying to install AVG for my dad, and using it a little bit at work, and instead of growing on me over those 20 minutes, I'd say things went the other way.

They would do themselves good to give the next version option of 7 type functionality and if they want it to look like a tablet, they can add that, too. I realize it's not that easy, but some of us work on a computer all day every day. Productivity problems are problems for real.

The typical issue with downgrading a Windows 8/8.1 PC to Windows 7 is drivers for Windows 7 may not be available for everything in the PC. Sometimes new components come out and they never write Windows 7 drivers since they only intend the PC to run Windows 8/8.1.

I wasn't aware you could still download a Windows 7 ISO. I had read that Microsoft had turned that off a while back. Maybe they got too many complaints and they let people download the ISOs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The typical issue with downgrading a Windows 8/8.1 PC to Windows 7 is drivers for Windows 7 may not be available for everything in the PC. Sometimes new components come out and they never write Windows 7 drivers since they only intend the PC to run Windows 8/8.1.

I wasn't aware you could still download a Windows 7 ISO. I had read that Microsoft had turned that off a while back. Maybe they got too many complaints and they let people download the ISOs again.
    Windows 8 virtually does not exist for business computers. It isn't a change back toward Win7. They never went toward Win8.

Windows 8 was released two years ago but the number of business computer models that ship with Win8 is still below 2%. That is 2% of the computer models available, but those units barely sell leaving the quantity of business computers shipping with Win8 installed way below that. Two years after Win8 introduction the current lineup of HP low end units have less than 4% models with Win8 installed, mid range units below 2%, and the higher end Windows units at 0%. Of course, all those units ship with a Win8 license and media in case MS ever makes Win8 actually work for more than browsing the web, email, and sharing you pictures.

I think most people don't understand that the stores selling computers are selling consumer electronics, not business computers. There is far more profit in their planned obsolescence, lack of driver support, and nonsense marketing. Perhaps MS knows what they are doing. New business computers already are almost 100% Win7 so they have no market to gain. They seem to be after the phone, tablet, and home PC market. The people installing computers for a business are supposed to know what they are doing and aren't fooled.

I'm with the "Install Win 7" crowd. Win8 is for touch screen, and it's crappy at that also.
    After returning an HP Win8 machine to Staples, I went to Micro Center and bought a Win7 computer. It came with Win8 discs which will never get used.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Windows 8 virtually does not exist for business computers. It isn't a change back toward Win7. They never went toward Win8.
    Correct, most business computers still ship with Windows 7. However, that is not the case with the majority of laptops sold to consumers at the retail level. A number of computers shipped with only Windows 8 and not also shipped with Windows 7 will have driver problems if Windows 7 is installed. I bought a computer right when Windows Vista came out. I put Windows XP on it, but I had a heck of a time getting XP to work because of a lack of XP drivers for some of the hardware.

My father is looking for a Dell laptop with Windows 7. Dell really only has one model with Win 7 on the consumer side, but they have a lot of them on the business side. Dell charges a $50 to $100 premium to get Windows 7 on a home model. The business models are almost all more expensive than the home models. One way or the other he will pay more for a new laptop with Windows 7 on it unless he looks for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Correct, most business computers still ship with Windows 7.
    Which is a telling point: The high-paid corporate tech crowd wants nothing to do with this turkey. There is not enough Help Desk budget $$ short of Bill Gate's bank account to encourage them. THey have spent the last 2 decades getting the dorporate personnel to move past the "nimrod" status on laptop operstions, and they ain't gonna restart that nighmare.

I recently got a new laptop - a Dell, frim the business product line. To get the features I wanted, I ended up with a model that only came with W7, plus W8 installed.

Which is OK - no where, EVER, have I ben promted by anything to see if I wanted to ruin my life by monkeying around with W8. I assume it is there somewhere, because that's what they told me.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 12-04-2014 at 3:32 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.