Thread: Lots of braille

Lots of braille

I'm looking at doing some ADA signs using the Rowmark "ADA Alternative" materials. There will be 6 of these, 9x12", 1/8" background with the raised letters. it looks like there will be 138 braille beads on the first one (estimated 830 beads total) and the client, another sign shop, wants to pay me only $75 each.

How long does it take to stick these beads in the holes, one by one? Would you pass on this or would it be profitable for you?
    Oh yes, and the materials alone will cost me about $160
    Thanks for your help!
    Wayne
    Wayne Webb
    Webb Signworks
    Chipley, FL

Aspire 9.5
    Sign Wizard 6.0
    CorelDraw 2018 Suite
    DevFoam Pro
    Mach3
    Shopbot Router 4x8
    Ioline 24'' Plotter
    Mimaki 51'' Plotter
    Home-Built 10x7x4 CNC Hotwire Cutter
    Various Metalworking and Woodworking Machines

I can put the balls in one sign in less than 1 minute each for most signs. However, I'm drilling the holes and pressing them in, no glue involved.

138 balls is a longer one, I'd guess no more than 4 minutes each. I've done some that were two lines long and I don't recall them taking much time.

I'd take as many of those as I could get at $75 a pop.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

While I normally get more than that for retail, it's about what I charge for wholesale. Like Scott, I just push them in, and use a ring to keep them in the right area until pushed in (dump a bunch, push in, pour off the extras) so it goes fast. It takes more time to stick on the raised letters.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks very much Scott and Joe!
    Wayne Webb
    Webb Signworks
    Chipley, FL

Aspire 9.5
    Sign Wizard 6.0
    CorelDraw 2018 Suite
    DevFoam Pro
    Mach3
    Shopbot Router 4x8
    Ioline 24'' Plotter