Thread: Added to the new plane till

Added to the new plane till

Had two other bench planes, and three block planes that wanted a "home"
    IMAG0060.jpg
    So, I added a bit more trim as dividers. Set so the #3 and #4 planes don't tip over. Set the horizontal ones so the blocks were a tight fit. So, it might be a bit crowded?
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Might set a hook on one side, just to hold a Stanley SW #70?
    IMAG0064.jpg
    Already have a spot for the wood bodied planes.

Aahhh, yes! But where is the NEXT one going to go?

That's the main reason why I didn't build a till like that. Things just change too fast to find a layout that works for very long -- at least for me. I suppose it would work for a "core" working set of planes and the occasional use and other planes could go somewhere else.

Your setup looks good though.

The planes in the till are the "ready use" ones. Beats just setting them in the way on my benchtop. That is why the other smoothers and the block planes wound up on the till. Found both the #3 and #4 sitting out on my bench. The "spares stay in the tool chest, until one of the ready use ones need sharpening. If I am in a hurry ( ME???) I can just grab a second one. Those three jack planes are set up just enough differently. From straight edged to cambered edge. IF I need a big cambered jack, there is one in the tool chest. There is a scrub plane #3 size in the chest, too. There is a York pitch #3 IF I need one, in the tray in the tool chest. The specialty planes are also in the chests. Until needed.

plane tray.jpgtrays.jpg
    The big wood bodied ones will go into the bottom of the tool chests.

There is a low angle block plane, but it hangs out in it's own special box
    Tool Chest #2 TOTE.jpg
    It is that bright red Millers Falls box it was sold in. A #1455.

Just trying to get some sense of order, in a very small shop. Some say I just MIGHT have too many tools.........Nah.

Beautiful!