Thread: Wide grained spalted Siberian Elm shallow platter, 11.5” X 2"

Smile Wide grained spalted Siberian Elm shallow platter, 11.5” X 2"

I had this bowl that had a folded back like rim about 3 inches wide, I had it rough turned about 7 years ago and finally decided to tackle this one.

It became soon evident that the bowl had warped beyond what there was on thickness in the rim, yes the rim was wide enough but I had just not made it thick enough

Anyway I got it mounted on the lathe with the best orientation possible and returned the recess and then flipped it over, straightened the top side and lost nearly all of the rim, finish turned the top side flipped it back and finish turned the bottom.

By this time it had become a dish rather than a low profile bowl that I had envisioned bowl shape.jpg

The spalted and bone dry wood absorbed quite a bit of oil, so I let it polymerize in the warm house by the woodstove (not close ), and after a couple of days it got another coat and then another.

Looks good by now I think, with the wide grain the dark color and the spalting

Your comments welcome as always

Siberian Elm bowl.jpg
    Siberian Elm bowl profile.jpg Siberian Elm bowl bottom.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-04-2014 at 1:25 PM.
    Have fun and take care

well done Leo, things can get out of wack while drying, redoing the edge can be an adventure, I would call that a dish instead of a bowl, but a well made dish

It is a winner!
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    well done Leo, things can get out of wack while drying, redoing the edge can be an adventure, I would call that a dish instead of a bowl, but a well made dish
    Thank you Charlie , and yes you are totally right, I set out to make this a bowl, but ended up with a dish because I hadn’t left enough meat in the upper part when rough turning the bowl.

I did add this to my post with the intended profile that didn’t happen
    Have fun and take care

Cool

I think you made the most out of what the wood had to offer, in the end. That's all you can ask for. I've worked on flat stuff most of my life; and that has its own adventures. But I like your style. You guys are on to something with this turning thing.

Great save and a pretty dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    It is a winner!
    Thanks Allan, at first I didn’t think so, but at the end I’d say it’s not bad
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Moe View Post
    I think you made the most out of what the wood had to offer, in the end. That's all you can ask for. I've worked on flat stuff most of my life; and that has its own adventures. But I like your style. You guys are on to something with this turning thing.
    Thank you Pete , Oh this round wood has thrown me some curves alright, but I have always loved turning wood, still do
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Great save and a pretty dish.
    Thanks for commenting Bob 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care