Thread: Problem with Cermark tape

Problem with Cermark tape

I have always been using the spray cans of Cermark for our products but one item we are doing now just needs a small line of text engraved on it so I thought I'd try the Cermark tape. The material we're working with is brass and the spray on Cermark has been working perfectly but I tried the tape today and when it was done I pulled the tape off, cleaned the surface with water and nothing was there. All the black Cermark washed right off.

Its my understanding that the tape is the same stuff thats in the can so I'm wondering why it didnt work.
    Epilog Mini24 - 45w, Epilog Mini24 - 50w, Epilog Fusion32 - 60w, Epilog FiberMark Fusion - 30w, Corel Draw X5

I have read that the tape needs more power to mark. I read that I can use the spray with my 30W laser but that the tape would be unsuitable. So I think there must be quite a difference in the settings from spray to tape.
    Rayjet 30
    Coreldraw X6
    Roland GX24 Vinyl cutter

I'm running it on a 50 watt Epilog, 100 power, 13 speed which should work.
    Epilog Mini24 - 45w, Epilog Mini24 - 50w, Epilog Fusion32 - 60w, Epilog FiberMark Fusion - 30w, Corel Draw X5

Mike.

That is very very hot.
    I'm not sure what speed the Epliog Mini runs at.

I'm running a 60w Epilog Fusion.
    Although I no longer use Cermark at all, and am using an alternative.
    However, my previous Cermark settings were 100 power, 60 speed, 600dpi.

You may want to check your dpi settings, makes a huge difference.
    But 13 speed is really overkill in my experience.
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

I was engraving the brass at 30 speed before which I normally run for metal marking, but after washing the brass some of the cermark was coming off to so I played around with different settings and at 13 speed it seemed to burn it in very well and does not rub off. All the brass is thouroughly cleaned to remove any coating it may have also. I can try and go back to a faster speed with the tape and see what happens I guess.

Mike, I played with some sample tape many years ago but have forgotten the details. I do remember I was unsatisfied with the results and stayed with the spray.

You said that you have been successful with the spray on brass sheet so I will rule out any clear organic coatings on the brass. You might want to check surface resistance with an ohmeter after you think it is prepped adequately - just a light touch of the probes so you don't penetrate which will mislead you. Ball end probes are best.

I understand that the Cermark tape has some kind of tacky adhesive. Are you sure that there is intimate contact with the brass sheet? You can be sure that spray is sitting right on the surface of the metal, but let's suppose there is a .0005" or .0010" gap between the chemical on the tape and the metal. (Air gap and/or adhesive layer). It is unlikely that the laser will be able to propel the chemical onto the surface of the metal. So unless there is good physical contact, the chemical won't bond well and will just vaporize.

Do you need to rub it down or burnish it a bit, say with something like a ball burnisher or back of a spoon?

The fact that they put an adhesive on the tape bothers me conceptually - how can the adhesive over the Cermark not interfere with the transfer of chemical? I know Cermark is satisfied with the concept and their solution, but on the other hand admit that the product does not work as well as spray.

They market this as a dry process but it seems to cause as many issues as it solves.

We are getting a fiber fusion before the end of the year so I'm just going to keep using the spray for now, I know that works.