Thread: Strange noise from pulley assembly on the stepper motor side x axis

Strange noise from pulley assembly on the stepper motor side x axis

Hi to all,

Today the machine (500/700) start to make a squicky noise. I look at the belt and the pulley assembly on the X axis on the stepper side and I think the noise is coming from there.
    What should I need to do to fix that?
    Where I can find a similar pulley?

My concern is at some point the belt will snap and I need the machine to be in full working order for Christmas orders.

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5
    Many ideas and very limited time

How old is the machine? Just wondering if the pulley set screw is loose. the one holding it to the shaft or a bearing in the stepper motor.

I'd think if the notched belt was slipping it would be causing cutting or engraving issues.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi Bill,

The machine is 3 years old (but, I think has done less then 150 hours). I will have a look, but it is quite strange because everything seems to hold tight. Any other opinions?

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5

The pulley on the X axis stepper is pressed onto the shaft so the chances of that being lose isn't very likely. Also the chances of that stepper motor going bad isn't very likely either, and if it does you'll know it, it will either flat out stop or start acting crazy. It's possible that your belt needs adjusting, or is worn. You can run a 1 inch grid patter on a scrap pieces of material and then measure the squares to make sure they are all actually 1' by 1'. If everything measures then your fine and I wouldn't worry about it. My machine is coming up on 2 years old and has developed some odd noises but it hasn't actually effected the operation of the machine.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Update.

Working today to finish the Christmas I listen carefully and the bearing located on the opposite side of the gantry (stepper) make that noise. Anyone know what numbers for ordering new one?

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5

Quote Originally Posted by Balsanu Gabi View Post
    Update.

Working today to finish the Christmas I listen carefully and the bearing located on the opposite side of the gantry (stepper) make that noise. Anyone know what numbers for ordering new one?

Thank you
    Gabi
    If its just the belt pulley they are cheap. Try the manufacture of your machine first and then eBay.

Pretty sure it's the bearing supporting the idler belt cog. My Triumph has been doing kind of the same thing for a couple of months. At certain speeds-- usually 500mm/sec- the whole machine 'hums' and vibrates as the gantry passes back and forth on long passes. I traced it to my idler bearing beneath the mirror on the gantry, it's 'chunky' as I rotate the cog. I have some Liquid Wrench spray lube in an eyedropper jar, I just put a few drops on top of the bearing and let it soak in. That fixed it, for a few days. I still need to get a new one from Triumph, because the oil trick only lasts a few days. But it DID verify the problem. FWIW, the bearing and 'humming' hasn't had any effect on the engraving. Yet.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Update 2.

Today I try to move by hand the laser head (with the machine off) left and right. At some point everything became stand still. Moving again the gantry slow and increase the speed that happen again. That behaviour make me to suspect even more the bearing is the culprit.
    Any info about the bearing - number, what type...
    I try to contact Shenhui, but all my contacts there are not working anymore for the company. Send an email to an address published on their FB page, no response.

Thank you for taking time to chime in
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5

The only way your going to know for sure is by loosening the belt and slipping it off that pulley. Then you can try the pulley to see if its just it or maybe the motor.