Thread: Christmas Present

Christmas Present

My son's wife loves to cook and so I made her this recipe box for Christmas. I made it out of poplar and used no stain. Finish was a sprayed on lacquer. Top and bottom butt joints were strengthened with dowels. I enclosed recipe cards in both drawers.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 12-04-2014 at 1:17 PM. Reason: Adding image
    Best Regards,

Gordon

That's really nice, Gordon. And the poplar will "brown out" nicely over time...but still have the nice contrast in your kitchen between the dark counters and the beautiful white subway tile. (I have the same in our kitchen)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job Gordon, very pleasing to the eye. She'll love it for sure!

Very Nice Gordon. I am sure she will enjoy it always.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's really nice, Gordon. And the poplar will "brown out" nicely over time...but still have the nice contrast in your kitchen between the dark counters and the beautiful white subway tile. (I have the same in our kitchen)
    Thanks for your kind comments Jim, especially since I did the subway tile as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    Nice job Gordon, very pleasing to the eye. She'll love it for sure!
    Hey Al I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Since my son and daughter in law were here for Thanksgiving I have already given it to her and she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Very Nice Gordon. I am sure she will enjoy it always.
    Thanks Ray, much appreciated.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I love Poplar.

Nice piece.
    I'm officially blocking this site so SWMBO can't see your finished projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I love Poplar.

Nice piece.
    I'm officially blocking this site so SWMBO can't see your finished projects.
    Thanks Jim, you gave me a chuckle this morning.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Great looking little box. One of those things that will be uesed for many years and some day some one will wonder where it came from - a true heirloom.

QUOTE=Jim Rimmer;2343204]Great looking little box. One of those things that will be uesed for many years and some day some one will wonder where it came from - a true heirloom.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks Jim, as to where it came from I burn in my stamp on the bottom along with a 2014 penny. I do this on all of my projects, the kids love it.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 12-05-2014 at 6:01 PM. Reason: Add image.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I really like this little box Gordon - simple design great execution. As a future project you could make a card holder that fits on the top where she can prop up the recipe card while cooking and have her recipe out and not take up any additional counter space.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I really like this little box Gordon - simple design great execution. As a future project you could make a card holder that fits on the top where she can prop up the recipe card while cooking and have her recipe out and not take up any additional counter space.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Larry. Your suggestion is worth considering.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Nice personal gift Gordon! As stated earlier, it is an instant family heirloom!

BTW...where did you get your branding iron/stamp?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Nice personal gift Gordon! As stated earlier, it is an instant family heirloom!

BTW...where did you get your branding iron/stamp?
    Thanks for the comment Ken. I bought my electric branding iron several years ago and can't remember who it was from. It was advertised in one of the catalogs that is sent to most woodworkers. Rockler has one that looks just like it so I suspect that is where I got mine.
    Best Regards,

Gordon