Thread: 2015 AAW symposium

2015 AAW symposium

I see that the cost for the 2015 symposium is $50 more then last year.Seems like a hefty increase.Anyone know the reason for the increase since the attendance is expected to be larger then Phoenix.

In a nutshell, prices are higher in Pennsylvania for the venue and especially all the union labor required. Airfare is higher, hotel costs for the demonstrators are higher, and the list goes on. The AAW has been able to hold prices in check for 10 years. I can't think of another business that has been able to do that. At some point, prices had to increase. It is still a great value for the return. They are also increasing the number of demonstrators. I know that seems strange because there are already so many choices, but increased attendance has caused the rooms to be overcrowded and actually leave not enough options to seat everyone.
    Last edited by Dale Gillaspy; 12-04-2014 at 7:03 PM.

I stopped paying dues this year. I wasn't attending the local club meetings, which have their own dues, and I never even considered a symposium because of the cost. I'd rather spend the money on tools, but that's just me. I did like the magazine.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by guy laizure View Post
    I see that the cost for the 2015 symposium is $50 more then last year.Seems like a hefty increase.Anyone know the reason for the increase since the attendance is expected to be larger then Phoenix.
    This may not be the best place to get a fact based response to your question. Recommend you pose the question to a member of the AAW Board of Directors. You can access them at http://www.woodturner.org/?page=Board. Click on Board member name to send an e-mail. - John

What John King says!