Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total newbie

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehr View Post
    I purchased the Nova G3 as well. I want to turn small bowls, vessels, and maybe some boxes. I have never sharpened a lathe tool before and would really love to learn. I've checked into a club but the closest is 2 hrs away.
    James,

One of the good things about a local club is that the members are spread out, and hopefully there would e one or more much closer to you that would allow you to visit their shop or even visit your shop to work with your tools and equipment. Maybe some of the Kansas members here will send you a PM or offer other suggestions.

I found a great sharpening video series on YouTube but the turner went over everything specific to the basic grinds off camera! I bought the Rikon grinder and the wolverine system except for the vari-grind jig. Unfortunately it seems that is a key part of the system! Does anyone know of a site or article that has pictures of the different grinds for each lathe tool (bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew chisel, etc)? I'm a great visual learner so books are also very helpful.

Here are Oneway video’s they are for their products but can help other product users also.

file://localhost/Users/leovdl/Desktop/www.oneway.ca:%202.webloc
    Have fun and take care

James, hope I'm not speaking out of turn be there's a turner and Sawmill Creek member that lives in Dripping Springs named Robert McGowen, not too far from you. You might send him a private message and see if he can help
    Last edited by Robert Speier; 12-09-2014 at 12:19 PM.

I have to second Glenn Lucas. He just released his sharpening video. Very high quality DVDs. I think its very important as a new turner to pick one sharpening system and don't get too hung up on angles and such. Until you understand what different angles do don't go changing a lot of things at once. Glenn has a specific way of sharpening and its easy to reproduce. As you learn you can do different things. Good luck

Thanks everyone for your help. I've got my grinder set up but I still feel tentative about grinding the bevels. Any idea if these Benjamin Best tools already have a grind I could just "touch up" to sharpen and get to practicing? I can take some pictures but I wondered if anyone has experience using these specific tools.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've got my grinder set up but I still feel tentative about grinding the bevels. Any idea if these Benjamin Best tools already have a grind I could just "touch up" to sharpen and get to practicing? I can take some pictures but I wondered if anyone has experience using these specific tools.
    I use that same set every day. The bevels they give you are great to start with. I don't know that you necessarily need to change anything to get started. Mine were sharp enough out of the box to begin turning. They are decent tools that get the job done and I'm pretty happy with mine.