Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw advice please

Bandsaw advice please

I'm in the market for a band saw that I could use for cutting bowl blanks and some occasional resawing. As with most people, funds are not unlimited, so I'm looking for the best value. Your advice and input is always appreciated.

Tim, I turn alot of bowls. I've had the Rikon 14" bandsaw for a couple of years. It will cut up to 13" thick which gives a lot of clearance compared to more expensive saws. It has performed well for the money. I think I paid about $800 for it on sale at woodcraft. I cut most of my blanks with a chain saw then turn round blanks on the bandsaw. I did have a bearing freeze up. It cost $100 to repair. But ... I've probably cut out 7-800 bowls before that happened.

I have the 17" Grizzly and like it, it's a good saw for the money. Comes in a lot of set up so you can get more bell and whistles if you want.
    Fred

I have the Rikon 14 inch as well. So far I've worn out and replaced the guide bearings and wheel tires. My only complaint is the sheet metal base. It's not as stable as I'd like so at some point I'll make my own base out of wood and use the metal one for storage.

Dave F.

5. I have two band saws........a large 18" jet and a grizzly 14" saw with a riser block. Since getting the grizz, I almost do not have to use the big jet. For features I have never seen a better bandsaw for the money in a 14" saw than the Grizzly G0555LX you see below.

This saw is a real performer, it has cast iron wheels for the blade which gives increased torque on the cut, two blade speeds, and carter style roler bearings that have easy adjustment to support the blade. I has a 1 hp motor, and I have cut the full capacity of my saw in thickness and it works really well. I have been pleased beyond my initial expectations with this saw............Not a better value on the market for $525 in my opinion and I did my research.

I have owned and used numerous 14" saws over the years including Delta, Powermatic, Jet, Reliant and others, and this saw will keep pace with the very best of them and not blink! Good luck!

I forgot to mention, the cam system for detensioning the blade is the best I have ever seen as well.............this saw is well built and is engineered to perform in many ways.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I've got the Grizzly 17" "Anniversary Edition" and absolutely love it. It's used mostly for bowl blanks and occasionally ripping rough lumber to size before milling. For the money, I'm not sure you could do any better.

I started out with the Grizzly 14" and it was just too small for most of the blanks I wanted to cut.

I have a 14" Powermatic, and while it is a great saw, there are better values out there.

I would like to add this thought. Do you have a good chainsaw? As a turner, I would think that a good chainsaw would be a much better first investment than a band saw...... You can harvest wood, properly size blanks from logs, and I lop off the corners of bowl blanks with the chainsaw. It won't get it round like on a band saw, but that's what the lathe is for.... Just my $0.02.

if you want the definitive answer on bandsaws call Louis ittura at iturra design in jacksonville florida
    google ittura design
    he is the bandsaw guru
    no affiliation with him

Kyle---- yes, I have a nice Stihl chainsaw and have used it to do exactly as you said----I've turned about 200 bowls this past year. Maybe a bandsaw isn't as necessary as I thought. However, I still do some flatwork and would really like to resawing some rough cut lumber before planing. Thanks everyone for your great input.

Had a 14" Grizzly and the lower axle wore out. Bought an old American made Powermatic to replace it. Put new bearings in it and you'll have a heavy, solid saw for a reasonable price and some extra effort. Replace the bearings because the grease will get hard. With the exception of lathes (VFD, sliding heads) and Sawstop technology, I see very few advancements I can't live without or add to an older piece.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

There is a review of 14" bandsaws in one of the latest Fine Woodworking Magazines. Might be worth a read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

+1 for the Griz 14" band saw with a riser block - I think they sell it as the ultimate 14" bandsaw. Mine has done hard duty both cutting greenwood blanks and resawing flatwork for several years now without so much as a hitch. I did need to replace the guide bearings once - but that was more a function of how much green wood I cut with it not necessarily a problem with the guides. Great saw for the money - get it on one of their sales and it's under $500.

I too have a Grizzly GO 555 for several years and have been very satisfied with it. No repairs or replacements needed so far. I bought the extension for it and so can now cut material up to about 12 in thick (high). Another advantage for me was that I could run it on a regular 120 volt 20 Amp circuit.My model sits on a cast steel cabinet with a door and a very useful storage cabinet. Excellent value for money.
    John

14. I've got a Grizzly 17" saw - (model G0513) that I picked up used earlier this year.

the only thing I don't like about it is that the wheels are aluminium - but I'm not doing any resawing, so I don't think it's that big of a deal that it does not have cast iron wheels.

OK - one more thing - I need to replace the tires - and choices for 17" bandsaw tires are limited

I did upgrade the thrust and roller bearings to a Carter system.

My GrizGO555 is a piece of garbage. Clearly the worst tool I ever bought