Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is and what should never be!

What is and what should never be!

"Discussing subjects like this and learning what would best work for each of us is never a waste of time or effort. It's never a reason to feel stupid or be embarrassed. It's especially true for those of us who have some physical limitations or abilities.

I am deaf, use a cochlear implant to hear and have balance issues. I broke my back in 2001 and have limited flexibility. That's why I chose to build 2x4 grid to use for rough cutting plywood sheets and I use the grid on the floor. It's a lesser distance to fall should my balance "wander" momentarily."

Ken Fitzgerald posted this comment yesterday in a discussion and inspired me to pass on a recent experience that I was not going to share. I have a lot of things medically wrong with me and until recently didn't know I was diabetic. One of the problems has been dizziness so I have tried my best to only work power tools when the wife is home.

Long story short I'm revamping the shop with hand tools being the primary source of work flow. The shop is a total mess things outta place etc. I was ripping pieces for the base of a work bench and finished the cut the next thing I knew I was clutching my left hand and trying to get out of the shop. I lost the 1/2 of my thumb nail, index finger below the finger nail, and severely mangled the middle finger.

I was asked how......... my initial answer was I slipped or tripped on something and my hand caught the blade to stop me from falling. It wasn't till a week or so later that I went back out to the shop to see what I tripped on. Although I had crowded myself there was plenty of room to operate the saw without a trip hazard and stay safe.

I was done and moving my left hand to turn the saw off. I had laid the push stick to the right of the fence. I don't use the guard that came with the saw because it causes more problems than a few. During this cut I used a mag feather board for the first time to keep the stock against the fence so my left hand wasn't even in the game. In the past for long rips I use a Unifeeder and jig to keep it clamped to the table and fence.

The root cause of this injury was the dizziness, complicated with the omission of a guard and proper egress path. There is an argument that if I had the guard on I would have not gotten hurt, maybe so or to this extent but the stitches at the base of index and middle finger lead me to believe other wise. Don't get me wrong I ordered a shark guard and until it comes in I will use the original.

The take away from all of this is proper clearances, know your egress route, emergency shut down, (I left it running) and last but not least your personnel limitations.

David I'm sorry that you had your accident I think the most important point that you make is not working alone in the shop at least somebody should be at homeI hope that you heal quickly and can enjoy your shop
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Good post and hopefully a good outcome on the hand. I've been suffering from Vertigo on and off this past year and also need to compensate for a loss of balance. it is hard to adjust work habits and admit that we all come to the point of not being able to be as efficient or productive. Your post is a reminder to me and I appreciate it. Dave

So sorry you got hurt. Accidents seem to happen when least expected. Hope you heal soon and things work out well with the hand tools.

Take Care...
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    Heal quick David. Your closing comment about an exit strategy, emergency shutdown and so forth should be heeded by all. Many folks in a home shop slip into the mind set of being "at home" and not being "in the shop". I got a minor cut on the edge of a piece of stock while helping dad out at his place. When I asked for a band-aid I was shocked to see him head for the house??? Long story short, his shop had become so cluttered he didn't know where his first aid kit was. His reasoning that he could find first aid in the house faster than he could dig up his shop's first aid kit got a big "not if you can't walk" response out of me.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope everyone who does not have a first aid kit in a location they can reach while crawling, open with one hand, etc. will correct that situation. There are no latches on my first aid kit. All I have to do is knock the lid off and I can easily get to my tourniquet (may I never need it), large gauze roll, band-aids, Neosporin, tweezers, magnifying glass etc. Let's all be realistic. Running for the house is sometimes not an option. I applaud David for assessing his situation and modifying his workspace to 'adapt and overcome' as opposed to 'ignore and trust to luck'. The hand and power tools we use are designed to remove material with a lot more resistance than our flesh and bone provide. Have fun and play safe.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

David, sorry to hear that had such a painful learning experience.

I hope you heal rapidly, and thanks for posting about your injury, it may help someone else avoid one........Rod.

David,

Sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you heal quickly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

David, sorry to hear all that.

I have ear issues too: Congenital, my eustachian tubes seem to be narrower than normal and I am congested in my right ear at least 50% of the time and cannot clear my ears for scuba diving.

Lifelong, I am just used to it by now. The random dizziness is worst thing. I have been driving down the road and all of a sudden, it's like some tilts your whole vehicle on an axis. Or walking along and all of a sudden, the whole room seems to tilt and a little wave of nausea hits you. Fortunately, it's not enough of an impairment for me to warrant treatment and I know not to panic when it happens but it's no fun.

Best of luck with whatever comes next to you.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Heal quickly, David. The comment about an exit strategy is an excellent one. I hope you get back to the shop soon.
    Reading this makes me glad I now only use my table saw rarely, and with someone home. I have serious balance and vertigo issues from a large cyst in my brain, and incidents like this make me glad I have migrated to mostly hand tools.
    Paul

Hope all is well soon, and keep up the Led Zeppelin references!
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder View Post
    Hope all is well soon, and keep up the Led Zeppelin references!
    ...catch the wind, see us spin, sail away, leave today, way up high in the sky...
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-05-2014 at 5:12 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Best of luck in a speedy recovery.

You're articulating my secondary reason for
    mainly using hand tools. I saw a nasty amputation
    in my High School shop class.

I still cut myself with hand tools,
    but those are just little leaks.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 12-06-2014 at 8:46 AM. Reason: .sdrawkcab taht toG

Best wishes for a good recovery David. And especially, thanks for the warning.

Glenn--i'm shamed to say that as a medical first responder, i don't have a first aid kit in my garage, always head to the house. Then as i continued to read your post, it dawned on me that i have a spare "jump kit" that's always within 12' of every tool in my shop, on a low shelf, easy to open and fully stocked--including airways and ambu bag (i use it to replenish supplies after medical calls so i don't have to run out to the fire station for little stuff). Funny thing is, until just now i never thought about using that for MY injuries!! Mentally, that bag doesn't exist for me unless my pager goes off. I'll think of it differently from now on!!

I do always make sure i have a cell phone--have done that for 10 years since i went outside after an ice storm and couldn't open the storm door to get back in...i spent a good half hour wishing i'd at least put on a coat!!

earl

It's been 7 weeks this Sat. I finally took a chance and tried my hand in the shop this afternoon. Layed out a few practice dovetails, paring them back went fairly awkward but ok. Finally got the nerve up to finish the last piece of the bench leg I was working on weeks ago. I'll glue all those up this weekend and in a few weeks maybe I can chop the double mortises for the legs.

Start P/T next week.... looking forward to it but not the pain! It's going to be good year!!

Blog Entries
    David,

I hope you heal well. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

PHM