Thread: Anyone here make Rumtopf?

Anyone here make Rumtopf?

I want to buy a Rumtopf crock for a gift but know nothing about them. Can anyone tell me what to look for so I get the right kind?

Thanks
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    Heck a large Mason jar always works fine for soaking peaches and pears in rum.

The bigger the better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Heck a large Mason jar always works fine for soaking peaches and pears in rum.

The bigger the better.

jtk
    .. but not very appealing as a gift.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Unless, of course, it is full.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I can remember Rumtopf as a kid while living in Germany. The traditional crock was a lidded stoneware container. Just Google 'Rumtopf crock' and you'll find lots of photos of the German or Danish traditional stoneware crocks.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mmmm, one year we filled a 3 gallon crock w/ 3 to 5 pounds of many kinds of berry as they came into season from spring to fall. Just add some sugar and rum and weight with a plate to keep them covered with rum as you add each new type over the course of the year. We served it over vanilla ice cream during the holidays. Great stuff.
    P.S. Only use perfect berries, no bruises or blemishes.
    Last edited by Marc Schmitz; 12-06-2014 at 8:05 PM. Reason: additional info

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    They make clamp lid mason jars that are fairly decorative that you could use.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I did a Google search before I posted and found a few but was not sure what I was looking for. It appears that the important thing is a glass or ceramic container with a lid. Will have to look more before I find that gift that calls " Buy Me".

Thanks
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

There is a site called sauerkrautpots.com overseas that ships worldwide and has a variety that you may get lucky with. My dad's family used big 3 gallon sauerkraut crocks for this kind of thing when I was a little kid many years back...