Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy machine...how to mobilize

Heavy machine...how to mobilize

A recent thread on mobile bases got me thinking about a shaper in my home shop that needs to become mobile. It sits between a SCMS and a RAS, the associated tables make good infeed and outfeed support for long moldings, the two two sides both have height adjustable levelers on them. And the SCMS and RAS fences are in one plane. Problem is the shaper fences can be in any plane for a given operation. I used to have a delta HD shaper there, on a mobile base, slide it back to the wall when using the saws, pull it forward for shaping, worked great. I replaced it with an #800 industrial shaper plus feeder....the gross weight is way more than the old base could handle, and way to heavy to drag. In fact I don't see any after market bases really capable of handling this weight. Anybody have good system for adding mobility to a heavy machine that needs to be rock solid in use but move forward and back about 15"? I've considered a pallet jack, that would do it, but it's one more thing I have to store in the shop, and I have little other use for the pallet jack.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

My shaper has two rear wheels and a bracket in front for a lifting bar. I modified some Felder wheel brackets so the height didn't change much. I have several machines that can use the same lift bar system so I only need one. Dave

I bought some of these http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-He...-w-Brake/G8176 and built my own frame for my 20" 900# planer. I counter sunk it so its only 2" off the floor. Very solid and easy to move.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

hard to beat a pump cart. i move my 4000lbs JP and all the heavy kit in the mill shop with one. Puts them in a Mill lane then i need to do long. ya pump cart the best mobile base ever made IMO
    jack
    English machines

Hover pads if you have the air supply and a smooth floor are ideal, pity about the expense though. I found four cheapies and they really do work well.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I have my big shaper (1500lbs) on some 2Xs and a sheet of plywood - I made a covered pallet essentially. I use a $200 pallet jack for it and several other machines.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Peter, look at the Felder/Hammer mobility kits that use one axle and a detachable tow bar.

I make all my bases this way, there's a reason you saw so many semi-live skids in industry.........Rod.

Peter I ended up putting some high molecular weight plastic skids on my jointer. It slides easy but will stay put in use. I only need to move about the same distance for long stock. Its what they made snowmobile slides out of. Tough stuff. I get mine from Norva Plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Peter I ended up putting some high molecular weight plastic skids on my jointer. It slides easy but will stay put in use. I only need to move about the same distance for long stock. Its what they made snowmobile slides out of. Tough stuff. I get mine from Norva Plastics.
    Yes, I've used UHMW or nylon on some heavy stuff. I have UHMW on my 650 lb bandsaw. On smooth troweled concrete I can move the saw 15" easily.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 12-06-2014 at 8:53 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Does it stay put, in use?

This sounds like a practical solution,
    if it lasts and the machine won't walk around
    under load.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Does it stay put, in use?

This sounds like a practical solution,
    if it lasts and the machine won't walk around
    under load.
    I just prepped some heavy rough Makore and no issues, I had some laying around so I thought I would try it before spending money on wheels. My floor is smooth.

I bought an old Oliver wood lathe, that is so heavy I could hardly move it, so I used some 3 1/2" angle iron under one end, which has bolt holes for fastening to the floor, and welded a short piece to each end to fasten a steel caster to. The other end of the lathe I attached another piece of angle iron just the right height to use the tow bar from my MM16 with a slot in the middle so I can move the thing.

Hmmm, I have some pretty serious angle iron hanging around, the entire base of this machine is cast iron. So I can tap it, maybe the wheels and bar will work. I'm considering fashioning some "jacking casters", mAybe angle iron in each corner, file a square nut into the top of a caster with post, sort of like trailer lift wheel. Pull them up when stationary, use an impact driver to lower them and lift the machine? I like the UHmW plastic feet idea, how do you attach that to the machine? Does anything stick to it, This shaper has posts in the four corners, there may be holes there for mounting levelers, I have some heavy duty levelers with 1/2" post and non skid feet, could peel the neoprene off of those and stick some UHMW hockey pucks to those, achieves level and mobile. I looked at the Felder system, not sure that can work on this machine, has a spindle lock and foot brake across the entire front that protrudes maybe 4" from the face of the machine, and the part facing forward is a door for access to the pulleys for speed change. Best attachment point is sides and back or from below. To use a pallet jack I'd really need to put the machine on skids of at least 2 inches, puts the table height a bit higher than I prefer but not a show stopper. Maybe a gantry might work? Or something rail road tracks. Ball bearing feet I the four corners, tracks with stops on sides?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

DSCN2799.jpgDSCN2800.jpgDSCN2801.jpgDSCN2802.jpg Here's what I did on the T130. Door opens so needs attachment to the frame. Works with the same bar as other machines as in last picture. I had several brackets made up so I can use them when they work. Back wheels are Felder with a made up bracket because the base doesn't go all the way to the floor. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    DSCN2799.jpgDSCN2800.jpgDSCN2801.jpgDSCN2802.jpg Here's what I did on the T130. Door opens so needs attachment to the frame. Works with the same bar as other machines as in last picture. I had several brackets made up so I can use them when they work. Back wheels are Felder with a made up bracket because the base doesn't go all the way to the floor. Dave

I'm using that same t-130 at work! How did you get the mounting bracket in there? Are there leveling feet in the posts in front? Does the bracket get in your way during use? Thnks for posting those pics, looks like a good approach. Machine is pretty stable resting on the wheels in back?