Thread: Sunday evening turnings

Sunday evening turnings

I got a couple hours in the shop later today and found that the walnut and hickory roughed turned this spring is dry enough for the second turning.

IMG_0615.JPGIMG_0616.jpg
    Walnut 12 x 4 with Tried & True oil finish

IMG_0618.jpgbowl2_base.jpg
    Walnut 11 x 3 with Tried & True oil finish

IMG_0625.JPGIMG_0627.JPG
    Hickory 10 x 3 with Tried & True oil finish
    Last edited by John Thorson; 12-08-2014 at 1:14 PM. Reason: Fourth photo was not correct

2. These are beautifully crafted, John! All three are well designed and executed. I think the top one [walnut 12x4] is my favorite, because of the nearly perfect grain orientation you have achieved. What a productive afternoon you had.........they all have a lot to show!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Those are beautiful, that has to make you a very happy guy for a Sunday in the shop.Keep up the great work.
    Just a quick question do you have any problem with your Tried and True Oil staying tacky for a long time.
    I love that oil but it just wont dry for me.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Harry, I love this oil too but have to heat it a bit to get the 'thin coats' required on the label especially when the can get half empty. I try to keep the air exposure down but the oil never stays as thin as when just-opened for long. If the coat you apply is too thick it takes ages to dry no matter how diligent you are to 'rub it in' repeatedly waiting for the surface to stop getting shiny spots.

All of them are very nice. Perfect size bowls too. Make sure you sign or date them! I like the simple rim on the 1st bowl, and it's beaded foot.

If I had to give any feedback, it would be on the Hickory bowl. Are the beads on the bottom of the bowl suppose to be all the same size? Or is it a big bead in the center with two smaller ones on either side?
    If it's suppose to be the later, my suggestion is next time make all 3 beads smaller as they seem to overpower the bottom. I would also make the small ones even smaller as they look almost the same size as the larger middle bead. Making them smaller would make them stand out more, and show a definite size difference. Right now they are all 3 too close in size. You can tell they aren't exactly the same, but you don't know if they're suppose to be or not. Don't take this the wrong way, just my opinion but I like them all.

The first walnut bowl and the hickory bowl have 'inset beads' on their outer surface similar to what I saw on Mike Mahoney's website. One,two or three beads with a slope from the other surface into this beaded area is a challenge. The second walnut bowl has a 'swoop' as Mike Mahoney used to do. The two walnut bowls also have a bead on their rim as seen in some of Leo Van Der Loo's works on this forum.

The photos are not that clear but the adornment on the foot are just small v-cuts put on by a point tool. This is for my daughter who competes in archery and gets a kick out of these 'little bulls-eyes' as she calls them. It is the band between the v-cuts that is supposed to be the same size but none of this can be seen very clearly by my photos.

As everyone else has said, those are 3 very nicely done pieces. Great figure of the wood and great execution. Thanks for sharing.