Thread: 3D Shop Tools in CAD Format (AutoCAD/SketchUp) Delta & New Yankee Workshop Equipment

1. 3D Shop Tools in CAD Format (AutoCAD/SketchUp) Delta & New Yankee Workshop Equipment

I'm moving my shop and wanted to play around with some different layouts. I looked around the 'net to see what was available in CAD, but didn't really find anything that was suitable as-is or could be easily modified to fit what I have. Most of the 'sets' I found were incomplete and mixed brands and none of them covered the exact models I have--all of my stationary tools are Delta brand. So, to get a better idea of what it would look like, I put together the tools I have in 3D...
    Included in the file are:
    - Delta 10" Table Saw.
    - Delta 14" Band Saw.
    - Delta 20" Scroll Saw.
    - Delta 6" Jointer,.
    - Delta 16-1/2" Drill Press.
    - Delta 13" Portable Planer.
    - Delta 6" Belt/9" Disc Sander.
    - Delta 14" Wood Lathe.
    - Delta 8" Grinder.
    - Craftsman 3-Tier Mechanics Toolchest.
    - NYW Router Table.
    - NYW Assembly Table.
    - NYW Clamp Cart w/Bessey K-Body Clamps.
    - Workbench w/Woodworking Vise.
    - Wall-Mounted Toolboard.
    These are in AutoCAD Release-14 DWG format and rendered with Accurender (a no longer supported piece of software). They will work with any AutoCAD version released within the last ~10-years. The drawing file is available below for downloading. And I know there are some here that use Sketch-Up, so I've also included a DXF file, that I *think* you can use for importing-if anyone trys it and is successful importing it I would like to know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Neat! Thanks for sharing.

That's nice of you, Tony.

FWIW, the DWG file could be imported into SketchUp, too. Only the pro version has the import option, though.

slightly off topic but i can't resist -

if you do any 3D modeling work check out the spacemouse - i have had it for < 2 weeks and using sketchup is totally changed with it - i bet my productivity is up at least several 100% - it is revolutionary to free the mouse to focus only on tools and never have to use the mouse to rotate/pan/zoom/orbit - too cool for words

Erik,

I tried the Space Navigator--I bought one and got one as a gift--hated it for SketchUp. I much prefer the wheel/CMB for navigation. My left hand is on the keyboard for keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl and SHift on the PC and Option, Command and Shift on the Mac along with the Space Bar get used all the time. I disliked going back and forth between keyboard and Space Navigator.

Tony, thank you! Very kind to share these.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    I'm moving my shop and wanted to play around with some different layouts. I looked around the 'net to see what was available in CAD, but didn't really find anything that was suitable as-is or could be easily modified to fit what I have. Most of the 'sets' I found were incomplete and mixed brands and none of them covered the exact models I have--all of my stationary tools are Delta brand. So, to get a better idea of what it would look like, I put together the tools I have in 3D...
    I suppose the full 3D option is nice to look at but whenever I have done floor plan layouts what seems to help most is just a plain old 2D top view in parallel projection with solid shapes that represent the machinery itself and then transparencies which represent the in/out feed, and man positions, of the tools and work areas. For instance an elevated transparency which represents the in/out feed area on a table saw when breaking down full sheets. This would include additional space needed for loading in and out and so on. Same for other tools. Seeing the tools themselves is fun but laying out a space without knowing all the specific support areas would seem to make for a lot of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I suppose the full 3D option is nice to look at but whenever I have done floor plan layouts what seems to help most is just a plain old 2D top view in parallel projection with solid shapes that represent the machinery itself and then transparencies which represent the in/out feed, and man positions, of the tools and work areas. For instance an elevated transparency which represents the in/out feed area on a table saw when breaking down full sheets. This would include additional space needed for loading in and out and so on. Same for other tools. Seeing the tools themselves is fun but laying out a space without knowing all the specific support areas would seem to make for a lot of mistakes.
    So, just set SketchUp to a top view parallel projection and slide the machinery around in a floorplan drawing. Draw loading areas, etc. the same as you would on paper (you can even attach them to the machines and drag them around together). That said, the only real advantage over cutting out paper shapes and sliding them around on a paper floor plan is that thanks to Tony you don't have to measure the machines! Plus, you don't have to start all over if you sneeze

As Steve says, you can work in 2D in SketchUp if you want.

I just imported the DWG file into SketchUp. The tools look reasonable although there's plenty of cleanup required with face orientations to correct, missing faces to add in and unneeded lines to delete. Still, Tony, you did the lion's share of the work so thank you. The fixing up is trivial.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-04-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Agreed, what Im saying is that other than for the pretty factor, the functionality of the 3D is really just a waste. Orbiting around your shop and doing walk through's may be fun but it serves little purpose without the dedicated service areas for each piece of equipment. There is little to no design aspects of a shop layout that have anything to do with elevation (the third dimension). Shop layout and efficiency is 98% in two dimensions.

11. .
    Well, since there seems to be some interest in 2d equipment layout, I thought I'd also post these AutoCAD blocks...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

VERY nice of you guys to do these images and share them!!! Thank you.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.