Thread: Review of Rocklers new 'Perfect Fit' dado guide

Review of Rocklers new 'Perfect Fit' dado guide

Went over to Rockler and picked up one of their new 'Perfect Fit' dado guides today. It comes with a 50" aluminum clamp that it rides on. When I first opened it up, I was impressed with the weight and quality of the plastic plate that rides on the clamp. The adjustment system is clever and seems to work very well.

The problem arose when I set the plate on the clamp, and it wouldn't slide. It bound up tight. Turns out the plate does not lie flat on the work, the outside edge is at least 1/8" above the work. This is apparently caused by the grooves in the plastic plate not quite fitting all the way into the grooves on the clamp. If you lift the outer edge of the plate, it slides easily on the clamp, but without lifting it won't even move. The weight of the router would make it lie flat, but it would be locked in place, not able to slide.

The clamp is supposedy 'new and improved', and I am wondering if they forgot to mill the plate to match. Anyway, as is, it simply won't work. I am sure I could fix it with a sawcut, but I will wait to see what Rockler says about it.

So, my review finds that as is, the tool is not worth buying, but I suspect either I have a badly machined plate, or Rockler will re-issue the tool after fixing it. Working correctly, it seems like it will be very handy.

Rick Potter

PS: On the web site, it said I could be the first to review it. I did, saying basically the above. I guess we will find out if they actually post it. After posting, the website automatically said my post was " under moderation". I hope they can fix the problem, as I would like to have it working properly.

THIS IS WHAT IS POSTED ON THE ROCKLER WEBSITE THIS MORNING...Rockler Perfect Fit Dado Jig

Item #: 59443
    $44.99
    TEMPORARILY OVERSOLD -

RESERVE YOURS TODAY

ED

Blog Entries
    I assume you go to the Ontario store. The folks there have always seemed pretty conscientious. The product you have sounds just plain defective and I am sure they will replace/return it. The have been selling similar format products for years. If you get a working one it would be good to hear how it does.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-08-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

First, let me say I have no reservation about Rockler making it good or taking it back, they have always been fair with me.

This morning I called the store and told them of my problem with the jig. They immediately told me to bring it back and they would exchange it. I didn't want to make the drive just to find out the next one would be machined wrong, and asked them if they could open one up and test it before I came. They agreed, and did so, finding out that it bound up just like mine did, so I decided wait and see what happens before driving back to the store.

Then, I called Rocklers product support number, and talked to a rep about it. She said they knew of the problem, and suggested I sand the edge of the plastic pieces (two) to make it fit. She also mentioned that the problem was probably variations in the aluminum clamp, not the plastic plate. I told her I figured I could lightly brush it with a saw blade more accurately, but did not want to do that, because if I missed getting it right, the store would not want to take it back.

She agreed with me on that, and said they were out of them now, but would send me another one when they came in and I could go ahead and keep the original one to see if I could get it to work.

So...very good customer service from Rockler. I guess I will finish the review when the new one comes. If I cut up the one I have, it won't be right away.

Rick P

EDIT: OK, I lied, went out to the shop, and couldn't wait. The plastic parts are both made in two layers glued together. Mine have a slight overlap where they fit the clamp, so I carefully trimmed off the overlap the same amount on both sides (important for the way the jig works), and it now lays flat and slides the way it should. I did not touch the part that goes in the slot on the clamp, so they both track without slop. I hope to actually try out a dado this evening.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-08-2014 at 3:06 PM.

Thanks for the heads-up Rick, i was about to "reserve" one. I kind of wonder if the quick oversold condition might be due to a discovered defect?? At any rate, i do have 3 of the E. Emerson Contractor clamps (24", 36" and a 50") and have used them for 3 or 4 years. Work much better than i expected and they really do square themselves up pretty well. I was viewing this as an excuse to pick up a second 50" with what i'd hoped might be a useful accessory. I'll be waiting...

earl

Sorry, it took me a couple days to get around to finishing the evaluation of the dado jig. I finished trying it out today. I did seven separate setups, just to make sure I was not doing something wrong.

The jig takes a 1/2" straight bit, and the measuring tapes are based on that. If you have 3/4" ply which measures 23/32 you adjust the jig to do a secondary 7/32 cut after the primary 1/2 cut. It is made so that the bit is offset when you turn around the whole base for the second cut. Very clever, as you can offset the second cut as much as needed up to the width of the 1/2" bit.

I used a brand new Woodline 1/2" bit that had a bit of a skew for cleaner cuts. It did measure exactly 1/2". I did the first dado and it was way off because I mistook the tape(s) reading and set it at 7/16 rather than 7/32. The second one was set at 7/32 and the cuts were nice and clean, but the dado was too small. Third time, I widened the offset to the high side of 7/32. Still too small.

Fourth try, instead of using the built in measuring tapes, I dropped a 1/4" brass setup bar in the slot, so I would know how exact the tapes were. The ply could be pounded into the dado, but it was still too tight. Fifth try, I just guessed and set the tapes at a bit over 1/4, and it almost fit, but a bit too snug. Sixth try I decided to try a 1/2" spiral cutter and it came out the same size. By now, it was pretty clear to me that I couldn't use the built in markings as they were definitely off. I don't know if it was the tapes, or if the machining of the router plate has more problems than the one I first mentioned.

Oh, the seventh try. Yup, I changed the bit to a standard 23/32 undersize plywood bit, and it fit perfect with one pass.

So, for me, the concept is great, but as mentioned in the first post, there is something not quite right on my jig, and it will be going back to Rockler. I have used some plywood that varies in thickess, and no jig will compensate for that, but for the few times I may encounter some odd measurement, I will just continue using the dado set in the saw.

Before I close, let me evaluate the aluminum clamp that comes with the jig. It is one of the many copies of the original True Grip flat aluminum clamps. This one seemed like one of the better ones. Aside from being straight, the most important part of the clamp is the little teeth that ride the rod underneath the clamp. I have one from Woodline that is useless. Those teeth are plastic and last about three uses. The Rockler clamps have steel teeth which do not slip. Another nice feature the Rockler clamps have is a sort of lock on the sliding part that allows you to remove the clamp without losing the adjustment. When you install it, you pull the moveable part tight till it clicks, then pull down the locking handle. If you release the handle to move the clamp down the board the moveable jaw stays in place....nice.

They are going to send me another jig. I will test it out, and post the results.

PS: Just checked the ad again. It still says you can be the first to write a review. I guess mine did not pass 'moderation'.
    EDIT: Just remembered. Another reason I think the machining may be off is that the side of the dado should be 3 1/2" from the edge of the clamp. On mine it is 3 7/16 strong.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-11-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Whatever happened to making a PROTOTYPE first and actually testing it!! I don't know if Rockler has an R&D office but seems to me they need to actually fly to China and test the product first before shipping them. I would not rely on a Chinese Rep to test crap! Sorry just my venting on irresponsible companies.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

WOW you have done a lot of work. Thanks for all the cautionary information.

I'll be surprised if they post your review. I posted a review of their dovetail jig a while back and noted a few problems with the jig. Never got published.

Rockler is not like Amazon as far as reviews go.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've seen bad reviews on Rockler's web site so they don't seem to have a blanket policy against it. My guess is there is some internal scrambling going on. Hopefully Rockler takes a closer look at the product and does the right thing.

Starting to think rockler reviews will no longer be looked at........

As I said in the initial post, I am sure Rockler will find the problem, and fix it. The concept of the jig is sound, they just need to recall it till the problems are solved. In no way do I mean this to be an indictment of the company.

I hope they get it fixed.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.