Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here - installing a ClearVue DC - any advice on electrical/other permits?

New guy here - installing a ClearVue DC - any advice on electrical/other permits?

I just posted pictures of my first "sawmillcreek worthy" piece. During the building process, it became clear to me (pun) that I either need to install a DC or go back to working on cars and gardening.

Anyway, I got the shop layout done, bought a CV 1800 and now I am tripping over the electrical piece. Ironically, I used to work for an electrician in college but in my town ALL electrical work requires a permit/inspections and I have hired a licensed professional (a guy I have known for some years).

As I was filling out the permit application, I started to wonder if I might be prohibited from having a 5 HP DC in my basement, especially since I am blowing the exhaust out through the block wall under my deck. I haven't submitted anything yet but I'm getting close.

Am I overthinking this? I live in a country/suburban neighborhood of 2 acre lots so I am pretty confident that the sound won't be an issue (muffler and baffle box at the ready).

Anybody run into an issue getting approval for a "hobby" installation? Or find that the actual DC needed a permit in addition to the electrical (like a heating system install)? This is not my day job and I'd starve trying to sell my work at the rate I build things...

Advice/experience appreciated!

Do you have to tell them what the connection is for?

Blog Entries
    Be aware that exhausting your dust collector outside will be drawing air from your house and dumping it outside. In order to do that new outside air will come in through every, crack, crevice, window and door opening in the house to make up every single cfm of the air being lost. That might be okay in the summer, but Bucks COunty gets plenty cold in the winter months.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Eric - I'm not sure, but I need to list motors in addition to outlets and circuits which has me wondering. Lee - I have a small window in the shop that I think will provide adequate "make-up air". Yes, the shop will get cold but I think I can avoid sucking heat from the whole house. If this becomes unworkable I will have to go the filter route (need more floor space!)
    I only need a few more tools, really.

Just tell them the circuit is for a welder or electric dryer. It's none of their business in the first place; you're a homeowner upgrading the electrical service in your house, not building a manufacturing plant.

Seems to me that a 5hp DC is massive overkill for a small basement shop. But that's neither here not there. Do think you'll find exhausting outside is a bad idea however.

I'll see what my electrician thinks. Regarding the 5hp system: I developed the plan based on Bill Pentz's analysis tools and I am focusing on the fines, hence the big cyclone and the 6" piping. I will take another look at using filters - nothing has been installed yet...

In this part of the world I believe I'd look at filter(s) too. I'd not be crazy about blowing heated air outside today. I have a Penn State '2 h.p.' dust collector w/ Wynn filter. No issue with a good filter that I can see. As far as the permit process, like Eric and Marty say do not be more specific than necessary. It also depends on the inspector for your jurisdiction, your electrician may have a feel for any obsessions your inspector may have. It seems like good advice to truthfully answer any questions posed but don't volunteer information not requested.

Something else could happen regarding the air your blowing out... It could create a very dangerous backdraft. Carbon monoxide poisoning, possible fires.

Building codes are usually in place for your safety, health and the safety of others including the folks who will come to douse out the flames.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Van Aken View Post
    Anybody run into an issue getting approval for a "hobby" installation? Or find that the actual DC needed a permit in addition to the electrical (like a heating system install)?
    Might depend on the township you're in. Both Buckingham (where I am) and Solebury are notorious for being a PITA when it comes to some things.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Let me offer a thought. Depending on what sort of work you do in your shop you might want to go a whole different direction. I have the exact same DC, and it is an amazing thing. But despite the fact that I have sent small tools and yes one tape measure through the system, there is still dust in the air as witnessed by the dust deposited on every flat surface. You just do not suck up all the dust manufactured at a lathe. I have built a variety of dust hoods and so forth but still there is dust. I have no flat work interest and only own a band saw and my lathe. If I had it to do over, since I don't need to collect chips from jointer/planners nor dust from a surfacing sander and the like, I would go with a positive air flow respirator and a room air cleaner. I am sweeping up chips as it is anyway. The money spent on the DC and its installation would way more than cover the respirator and you would be protecting the only thing in the shop that actually can be damaged by dust, your lungs.

If you have more interests than I then go for it.

+1 on Judson's response! Building codes and inspections exist to protect you and others. You may not understand all of the risks involved, even if you think you do.

Thank you all for your valuable comments. It's great to have a community like SMC to bounce ideas around.

I have no problem with the building codes, I just would hate like heck to be denied the installation for some reason that's not apparent to me.

I took a look at using filters today and scrapping the outside exhaust. It does make more sense, just a tight space issue. ClearVue is reviewing my piping plan now.

Steve - -I am down the road in Upper Makefield who is also notorious for nit-picking - hence my uneasiness.

I have a call into the electrician and I have a first draft of electrical plans drawn up. In the meantime my ClearVue order is on hold until this gets sorted out.

I hope I get this in place in time for some actual woodworking this winter...

The electrical inspection should be much simpler if you have it wired for a 4 wire 30A clothes dryer outlet. The CV should not need to be a part of the inspection because it plugs in, just like a clothes dryer.

If you hard wire power to the control box, then it might all need to be inspected. I am pretty sure the inspectors are not very familiar with the CV.

Also, make sure to route 4 wires. The CV motor doesn't actually need the white neutral wire, but most wireless remotes will need it for 120V circuits.

Steve

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Install an undeclared receptacle ... if the device isn't hard-wired, it's usually not necessary to identify it, even in the strictest code areas. It COULD be a welder .. COULD be an air compressor .. COULD be a piece of equipment .. ... ...

Just run it yourself and take it out if you sell the place. I understand certain codes need to be in place to keep everyone safe, but it sounds like your area is encroaching on what I consider private property rights if they make the process difficult.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't