Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewaxing Bullseye Shellac

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Kent, I find that SealCoat shellac meets all my needs. I see no need or reason to buy a bunch of different shellacs, grind the stuff, and then buy alcohol to dissolve it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am with John about the Sealcoat. It's ready, it's relatively fresh, it's blonde enough, it's amber enough, BORG still carries it in gallons. .

You fellers are simply no fun at all. Bah !! Humbug !!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Done

In the end, I ended up with about 3/4 qt of relatively clear ~1.5# shellac.

This was definitely NOT worth the effort.

Once the initial half is removed, the residual half is a waxy, soupy mess that does not separate or filter easily. I even tried using a hydrocarbon solvent (something like Mineral oil) to draw the wax out of the 'bad' half. It did cause a good separation, but without decent lab equipment, it's hard to then decant just the good layer. Also, it's impossible to know how much oil/wax stays in the final product, and in what proportion.

I'll use the 'good' half, but I'm guestimating at the cut and guess it has a small amount of wax in it. Next time, I'm just buying a gallon of Sealcoat and hoping for the best.

I respect everyone who uses flakes (I have done so successfully many times too). But it's just a pain to measure, grind, and dissolve the stuff. I have never had a problem with Sealcoat, and after all cost and effort, I (like J-10) think the Sealcoat is a bargain.

Y
    M
    M
    V.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-10-2014 at 5:22 PM.