Thread: Project Build: Narrow Office Side Table (video)

Project Build: Narrow Office Side Table (video)

Project Build: Office Side Table
    (video link at the bottom)

I was asked to build a simple side table for one of the offices at church. They already had a desk, and needed a narrow side desk to go alongside the desk, to turn it into an L-shaped workstation.

The goal was to keep this simple, quick, and inexpensive.

This is the design that I came up with. I could get all I need to build this out of one sheet of plywood, with plenty left over. Well, that isn't quite true as I would also need some hardwood for edging.

I was exceedingly fortunate, as I found some of the most beautiful straight grained oak plywood that I have ever seen. Not a single knot and no cathedrals either. It was all long straight lines of grain.

My shop is not large, so I always have the store make the first cut in any plywood that I buy. This requires preplanning my projects, so I know where to have them make the cut.
    (Other woodworkers who give shop tours invariable mention "sheet goods storage" when showing off their shop. My sheet goods are stored at the lumber yard...)

At home I ripped the plywood to give me the top, the back, and the two legs.
    I then crosscut the top and the legs to final length.

I did not want to leave the legs as just rectangular pieces. You are far more likely to end up with a piece that rocks. It is far better to cut out smaller feet. I marked the center out, 6" up from the end, and laid out diagonals from that center down to the bottom, resulting in 3" feet.

Then on the drill press I drilled out the two holes...

... and over on the bandsaw I cut along the diagonal to finish the roughing out of the sides/legs

In keeping with the goal of quick-and-simple I drilled a series of pocket holes along the underside of the top, to make attaching the hardwood edging quick and simple.

I love this miter sled. It is so easy to use, and so accurate. I used it for mitring the ends of the oak edging.

Attach edging to top:

…CONTINUED…
    "It's Not About You."

…CONTINUED…

The edging for the legs was attached with glues and 23 gauge pins.

It's no fun trying to get edging to be the perfect exact width. It's far easier to just make it a bit wide, and then trim it flush with a flush-trimming bit on your router table, as I did.

I temporarily attached the legs and back to the top, each with just one screw.

I then fitted reinforcing glue blocks into the corners. I screwed into these from the back and from the sides/legs. I figured that this would be stronger than just screwing into the edge of the plywood.

I then removed the top from the legs, for final finishing. This includes a coat of shellac, and then several coats of polyurethane, each time lightly sanding between the coats.

And after that I left it to harden for a few days before putting it together with all the screws. Some final photos follow, including one showing the side table in it's final location.

More details are on my website at http://www.wordsnwood.com/2014/sidetable/

Or you can watch a build video if you prefer — I did this one in “wordless workshop” style, so there is no talking at all.
    "It's Not About You."

Nice job Art, well done! Great video and pictures to truly show the process. Looks very impressive from down here...Michigan

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    from down here...Michigan
    "down here" !!?? Hey, lots of Michigan is NORTH of me...
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    "down here" !!?? Hey, lots of Michigan is NORTH of me...

True, I'm in Macomb County...slightly south of you But when we hear Canada (down here, we think north of us and waaayyy more snow
    Again, nice job on the project, it came out really well and I'm sure the Church loved it.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Great pictorial, Art!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...