Thread: Lumber Storage Building

Lumber Storage Building

Last week I finally got to overhaul my lumber storage building. It was getting in bad shape and needed a lot of work so I enlisted help from a couple of my friends and we went to work. We removed the old roof shingles, replaced several plywood sheets, installed the new shingles and a new door then finally the new siding which matches the color of my old barn.

The day we started this project it was 75 degrees, then the weather turned sour and it was miserable working outside....cold and damp. I was so happy to get this done and get back inside my shop again
    Attached Images Attached Images

All brand new again! A separate space for wood storage and drying seems like a luxury at my early stage of development. Do you have climate (temp/humidity) control or is it all solar powered?

Mike,

I use this building for lumber storage, all of the lumber was dried before I placed it on my lumber racks. I used to operate an EBac dehumidification kiln for many years and was able to save a considerable amount of lumber for my personal use. Because I was purchasing large amounts of lumber I was able to buy mostly clear lumber which is why I haven't sold my personal inventory after so many years.

I designed and fabricated two welded steel free standing lumber racks so the wood is stacked almost to the ceiling. The building is insulated with sheetrock walls so it stays pretty dry inside and keeps the moisture content very low, most was at 6 to 8 percent when I removed it from my kiln. The majority of the signs I have been making for the last few years are all made from Dupont Corian so my wood inventory rarely decreases.

For several years my Dad used this building as a frame shop so it has an air conditioner and an electric heater for the Winter months but I rarely use either one of them.

Well it sure looks nice Keith. That is one of those projects that is a pain to do but gives you satisfaction when it is done.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Fantastico!!!! Looks brand new and I bet it felt great to get it done. Looks sharp.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

That looks great, Keith!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A great restoration/remodel/facelift. She looks great!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Keith

Nice work. Really looks good.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Gentlemen,

Its true, I am so happy to see this project completed mostly because of the cooler weather which makes it tough on the hands when you can't wear gloves. I used a commercial grade vinyl siding and it is much thicker than the siding the big box sell so it should last a very long time.

My workshop has the same shape, its a two story building with white vinyl and although I would love to replace it with the barn red siding it would be too expensive. The barn rehab project I did several years ago turned out as nice as this one but took a couple months to complete. I have a very small storage building that I will be working on in the Spring and my last outdoor project is to complete the modifications to my chip box for the shop.

Looks great Keith. If it ever gets to full, you have a wonderful group here that will help you thin it out. LOL
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

great job! Looks good and very useful...
    Jerry

Thanks everyone,

I stick built this building probably 30 years ago and now I'm happy to know that it will probably survive another 30 years. I also have plans to reduce the amount of lumber in my inventory this Spring so I can use this building for my laser engraver and my vinyl cutter among other things because my shop has become way too crowded. My days as a packrat are soon to be over