Thread: Walnut Oil Finish & Nut allergies

Walnut Oil Finish & Nut allergies

I have been invited to a Holiday party in a rented Hall.
    The invitation says this is a nut free building. (first for me)
    Some of the items that I usually bring to these type of
    event are Deviled eggs on a wooden platter. Fresh Pastries
    on a wooden plate. and Lindts Chocolates in a wood bowl.
    I use walnut oil as a finish on my daily use pieces. My question
    is should I go to ceramic or paper plates & bowls. I do not want
    to go to jail or have anyone have a reaction.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Mahoney's Walnut Oil has been refined and the allergic aspect of Walnuts have been removed. Folks with nut allergies won't have a problem with it. Other brands. I don't know.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Doctors Workshop also. In fact the owner is a biochemist and states"This is what I have learned from the medical literature. About 3 to 5% of the general population reports a nut allergy. Of those reporting "nut allergy", about 90% are allergic to peanuts, which are a legume and not a nut at all. Of the remaining 10%, 5% are allergic to cashews and the rest allergic to walnut, almonds and other nuts including filberts. Walnut allergy is elicited by the proteins in the nut, wood and leaves. The walnut oil I use is treated and filtered such that no protein is detectable by the most sensitive methods in my lab (mass spec and colorimetric). I can find no data on cross reactivity between nut allergens. I do not guarantee that there is not risk of allergy, but the risk is as small as I can make it. Moreover, since walnut oil is a drying oil, it is found in the wood as a solid, plastic-like material that is not going to be lost in a liquid form, making any protein residue unavailable for biological interaction."

Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

PS
    my wife is allergic to Walnuts (and Pecans and.....) she uses three different brands of Walnut finishes with no issues
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

If you are using anything other than Mahoney's or Doctor's polymerized finishes, I wouldn't risk it. You could also add one of those frilly paper doilies between your food and the wood just to be sure.

The chances of a problem are low, but it just isn't worth the risk when there is no good reason to do it. Some people are incredibly sensitive to this. Just a few days ago I heard about a guy who had a nut reaction. He didn't have any direct contact with nuts. He touched some object that had previously been in contact with nuts. He used his injector, and went directly to the closest hospital, and died just after arrival. I think he was 19 years old.

I have to agree with Ryan. It is not up to you to determine whether there is a risk or not. If the building says no to nuts, I think you break out the paper plates.

I wonder when it stopped being the responsibility of those with allergies to avoid situations and actions that might provoke an allergic response and instead the burden was placed on everyone else... If I'm allergic to walnuts and I see food in a wooden bowl, I think I'm going to avoid taking any of that particular food offering, not get mad at the guy who brought it.

A "nut free building"? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    I wonder when it stopped being the responsibility of those with allergies to avoid situations and actions that might provoke an allergic response and instead the burden was placed on everyone else... If I'm allergic to walnuts and I see food in a wooden bowl, I think I'm going to avoid taking any of that particular food offering, not get mad at the guy who brought it.

In many ways my thoughts... While I can understand when someone with extreme Peanut problems is on an airplane so the airline doesn't serve those little bags of stale nuts

This is what we get when we live in a Politically Correct society to far left of center. It saddens me to see others responsibility heaped on the unsuspecting or deserving.
    --Soap box OFF--

Merry Christmas or is that wrong now!

Perhaps you should ask the person who made it a "nut-free building" why he's allowed in the building.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post

While I share some of your concerns, this particular situation isn't like someone asked you to not have any nuts in your own house, or even not to take your walnut bowl to some other building. This is a specific building that has been specifically declared to be "nut-free" for some reason. So going there, one should respect that request. That is usually done when there are multiple (or many) people using that facility that have serious allergy issues. It is actually becoming fairly common in schools in this area.

Perhaps the easiest solution here would be to contact the owners of the building in question and inquire as to the specifics of the request and answer any questions.

The party is tonight and I plan to honor the request. I was just wondering if a Walnut Oil
    finish could affect a person with a nut allergy. I guess nut allergies are more common than
    I was aware of. I was at an Art Show last weekend and the woman in the booth beside me
    had a kidney transplant from her daughter. She said she now has three. I questioned a doctor
    in my turning club and he said if there is some function in the remaining kidneys they leave
    them in. I guess I have a lot to learn about the world of medicine
    Kevin

There are so many "Nut" cases out there I would not chance it.A lawyer can sue wither the facts are on his/her side or not. They make millions from nuisance suits
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost