Thread: Whats your favorite grinder for sharpening?

Whats your favorite grinder for sharpening?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a slow speed grinder for sharpening purposes (chisels, carving tools, and turning tools). I've started to buy some vintage tools that need help on arrival and my worksharp takes way too long. What is the ideal grinder speed for sharpening woodworking tools?

I was looking at the Rikon at Woodcraft which runs at 1,750 RPM but then noticed the Delta variable speed which runs 2,000 - 3,400 RPM and is available in 8" or 6".

Thoughts and/or additional recommendations.

Thank you

George

Favorite grinder

I have this site up and I have no complaints
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Currently using a Metabo, with a CBN wheel, which is the best, by far, I've ever owned, or used. If I was just starting out, and had it to do over again, knowing what I do now, I would have bought one of these. I still might. If I had all the money I've spent on grinders over the years, it would have been paid for long ago.

http://www.cuttermasters.com/portfolio/tradesman-dc/
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-10-2014 at 9:13 AM.

I like a dry grinder, the slower the better for general tool grinding. I got one from Garret Wade years ago that runs at 1120 rpm with a 6" wheel, and it's not too slow. The white wheels work well but wear fast. The CBN wheels get very good reviews, especially for very hard steels. Very few bench grinders have a decent tool rest, so an add-on like Lee Valley's is a good investment. My son has a Tormek, which is also a good system, but expensive compared to a bench grinder.

I can get along with any of them, as long as they can spin a wheel and have a rest that doesn't move while it's in use.

I bought a baldor 632E several years ago as a matter of principle, but baldor is no longer american owned now as far as I know, and the price of that particular grinder has gone up almost 70% (it was $290 delivered when I got it...I see enco has the same thing now for $494, and that's a shame).

If I had to rebuy, I'd get one of the foreign grinders locally, and if it wasn't good, I'd exchange it until I found a good one. One single caveat would be that if I was buying a grinder to use with heavy CBN wheels, I'd find something that leaned toward higher motor amps.

I don't use a grinder to sharpen anything, though, not even turning tools. I grind them with a grinder and sharpen them with a hone - including a small honed secondary bevel on turning gouges.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-10-2014 at 9:44 AM.

I have both the Woodcraft slowspeed grinder 8" and the Delta variable 6". I never use the high speed, so it's not worth the extra price imho.
    In my short experience with a few grinders, the issue has never been the motor or the arbor; it has always been the wheels. So, if I were doing it all again, I'd do it the same way: buy a budget grinder and invest in decent wheels, and platforms and jigs.

By far, the best choice is a 2" X (your choice of length)" belt grinder. 30 seconds to go from a 36 grit belt to a 1,200 grit belt or anything in between. For variable speed a step pulley works well while a VFD controlled motor is the ultimate. Coote and Kalamazoo are quality entry level machines and made in the USA.
    Larry

My grinder is a no-name 8" 1750 RPM grinder. But I use really good wheels and the OneWay balancing system. The latter makes a huge difference. The grinder, in general, is just a motor with shafts that come out both sides. As long as the shafts run true, you're golden. It's the wheels and their balance that matter much, much more!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

my grinder are all vintage but the best for hand tools is one of the Oliver 2085

i don't mind the Delta carbide grinder ether.

but the one i use the most is the Engelberg water fall grinder

Last edited by jack forsberg; 12-10-2014 at 3:42 PM.
    jack
    English machines

I had a Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder with white wheels that I used mostly to sharpen my lathe tools. It worked well but I sold it when a friend was moving and sold his 8" variable speed Delta with CBN wheels. The Delta works fine and I've never used it above the slowest setting. However, while the CBN wheels are excellent and a definite upgrade for sharpening high speed steel, they are not recommended for sharpening softer carbon steel because the wheel can load up. (You can clean them somewhat when sharpening scrapers) Last week I picked up an older heavy duty 8" Milwaukee slow speed grinder at a school auction for $35 and will use this for my general purpose grinding. The Milwaukee has the largest motor and is superior to the other two.

I use the Veritas Mk II and I like it very much. It is much faster than the Tormek. It is similar to the work sharp, but a little bigger and maybe a bit more heavy duty. If I was buying one today I would take a close look at the Work Sharp because it is so much less expensive.
    Jack-Bench
    Adjustable Height Workbench Plans

I use a viel 42" belt grinder with 3 grits of belts. Works great, and I can strop with it as well. I still polish on an 8000 stone, then strop on charged leather, if need be. can shave with the edge, or peel end grain with ease. Tried several other setups, this one works best with my limitations.
    Paul