Thread: Does anybody use actual framing nails any more?

Does anybody use actual framing nails any more?

You can still buy a framing hammer, with the cross-hatched strike face, but nowhere am I able to find the nails that used to be used with them, with the same cross-hatching on the head. I wanted some to show in my glossary, but couldn't find any at the local hardware stores and ever since I've checked in every hardware store I've been in and they are nowhere to be found.

The internet is useless on this because all it does is give info on the framing nails used in nail guns.

I was just wondering if they have gone the way of the dodo bird, because of nail guns? I hate not having pics for items in the glossary, although if they aren't around any more it doesn't much matter 'cept as a historical curiosity. Here's what I put in a couple of years ago:

framingnail.JPG
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Cement coated sinkers are the only ones I know of. I never thought it had anything to do with meshing with a waffle faced hammer.

Home Depot sells 16D waffle head sinkers in 5lb and 30lb boxes.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Cement coated sinkers are the only ones I know of. I never thought it had anything to do with meshing with a waffle faced hammer.
    +1 what tom said there are no nails that matched the head of the hammer. The cross hatch was so the head of the hammer would grab even the smallest portion of the nail head for less bent nails and drive it. BTW we called that hammer a meat tenderizer and back in the day would file fresh cross hatch as it wore. you sure as hell learned how to swing and framer after you hit a finger.
    jack
    English machines

I was working on a floor under an old log cabin, a long time ago, with the owner of the house. He was a fairly famous photographer. I forget exactly what we were doing, but it was something with the floor framing. He hit his thumb with a waffle head 24oz. Estwing, and passed out flat on his back. I mean really passed out. We thought we were going to have to call 911, but he came around.

The better heads now are the waffle head. They dont wear/smooth out any where near as bad. Texture on either face is generally there to accommodate a smooth surface on the other face. Cross hatched nails were there for better use with smooth faced hammers (in my experience smooth faced hammers are more common about anywhere you go).

About the best hammer I have ever found is the Douglas but thats because I like a wood handle. I have several others but those are my favorite. Virtually any framer is available in a checker but not all in a waffle. Likely special order if you really want one.

A good lumber yard should be able to supply you with the 'real deal' framing nails. While it's true that pneumatic nailers do the majority of the work these days, there remain many situations where hand driven nails are necessary to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My favorite framing hammer is Dalluge,Like Jack mention the head was a a meat tenderizer.I kinda remember banging the head smooth when it was new.I don't like the titanium hammer that all the new guys were Useing including my brother.
    I do miss driving green sinker.I know I'm off topic .

I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and the local organization does not allow pneumatic nailers when building prefab wall sections in their shop. I suppose they are worried about safety but it just seems silly to me. We weren't supposed to use nailers on the job site either but the guys capable of doing framing work brought their own. Yes, loose nails are still available by the pound at lumber yards all over the place. I have hammered more than my share in new house construction but I hope I never have to do it again.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-10-2014 at 9:22 PM.

I use a smooth faced 16 oz. straight claw Estwing for almost everything a hammer is used for. They come bell faced with a bevel around the edge. The beveled face might be best for finish nails part of the time, but I regrind the face flatter, including getting rid of the bevel. That allows me to use the edges of the face in tight spots.

You can still buy sinkers, as well as commons, and galvanized (several types) commons. Even the box stores have these, but probably not in 50 lb. boxes, like we used to buy them.

I built my first house with a hammer. After I sold that one, and started the second one, a Senco nail gun salesman pulled in on a boat while we were framing the house. (All the houses I've built were waterfront.) The lake here is close to a mile wide, and has a lot of shoreline. I asked him what in the world he was doing trying to sell nail guns out of a boat. He said it was the best place in the world. It was a calm day. He said all he had to do was go out in the lake, turn the motor off, and listen for hammers. I thought he was a genius and bought 5 nail guns, each with two free boxes of nails. That was in 1974. I still use some of these guns, and even still have some of the small finish nails.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    A glossary?

Google common nails

Study a bit also

How about this, one click away and photo too...

http://www.amazon.com/Bulk-Nails-Coa.../dp/B00GFRCYFQ