Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy firmer chisels

Heavy firmer chisels

A couple of weeks ago there was a breaking in at my school (I am studying preservational carpentry in Sweden) and my chisels got stolen. I mostly do traditional post and beam work and I had some vintage Marples with pretty decent steel that I was very fond of.

Now I need to replace them, and since heavy vintage chisels are rather hard to come by in Sweden I wondered if anyone can recommend on what to get on the new market? I need 1 1/4 and 1 ½, preferably rather stout and with good steel that will stand up to oak and pine. In my experience blades that taper in thickness seem to do better in morticing work, so that would be desirable.

I have a Barr framing chisel that is very stout and holds a good edge. They are new production.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    I have the Cabinet Makers chisel set from Barr Specialty Tools, barrtools.... Very sturdy, hand forged tools, made to be smacked and whacked. Framing chisels and slicks and green woodworking tools are some of their most popular products. They also offer a selection of Garland Mallets. Highland Woodworking in Atlanta, Georgia carries most of what Barr makes. Highland frequently runs a 20% off one hand tool sale, which is the way I acquired my Barr tools.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 12-11-2014 at 2:26 AM.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have taken a look at the Barr tools now and I really consider splashing out for the 1 ½.

Can anyone comment on the steel on the Henry Taylor socket chisel as well as Crown tools and Sorby firmers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    No doubt that they are of high quality. However, on the ones that i have held the backs have been polished on a buffing wheel and the corners are quite heavily rounded. I don't want that if I am to pay top dollar.

Maybe when you order you can request them not to do the buffing. Nice looking tools, but not cheap!

Another idea might be to watch ebay.co.uk. I often buy stuff from that site. Being in England we don't need to pay customs and postage is often reasonable.

My experience is that both the Sorby firmers and the tools from Crown are either not completely hardened or tempered until they are too soft. Either way in my experience they don't hold an edge well. Antique tools from both manufacturers are a different story and are excellent.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I would echo both of those - the steel is not similar to vintage, it's not as hard and it is much more gummy with chromium.

Same with the vintage comments, every vintage tool I've gotten that is timberframing related has been good. Underhill and PS&W are two that are fairly common popping up at antique shops, etc, here. They're usually about $25 per, and better than anything big and new I've used (I have not used barr).

I had to re harden recently made Sorby chisels before they were hard enough to hold an edge. And,I doubt they are made of decent steel. The 19th. C. ones were good.

I see no reason to spend big bucks on new "hand forged" chisels when you can get good antiques cheaper. I always thought Barr chisels looked buffed to death,though I have not used them.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I always thought Barr chisels looked buffed to death,though I have not used them.
    The backs of my Barr chisels are not buffed, so no dubbing.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Robert Sorby register firmers I don't have a full set. 3/4 gets used quite bit. Comes pretty sharp but a quick polish on the back @ 8 - 10k and establish you secondary bevel never hurts. good solid feel and well balanced.

https://www.thebestthings.com/newtoo...by_framing.htm
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 12-11-2014 at 1:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    My Barr Chisels and all the ones I have looked at at Highland Woodworking, including the slicks, are left rough. The tops are dressed up a little but not much. The backs on my Carpenters chisels show prominent grind lines. The surfaces look more like typical good Japanese chisels to me.

14. Thanks for the answers. It seems like new chisels are of out of the picture. I'll give eBay a go and see if anything interesting pops up.

Early WM Marples Firmer Chisels with the boxwood handles are the pick of the bunch for steel quality. IMO

I purchased 2 full sets a few years ago and have never regretted the investment.