Thread: Vacuum press

Vacuum press

I am thinking about investing in a vacuum press for my veneering and marquetry projects and could use some input. does anyone have a Compact 150 from Vacuum Pressing Systems or an Excel 1 from Veneer Supplies.com. Do you like them? Are they so noisy that you have to leave the shop while the glue dries? Also what is the difference between vinyl and Poly bags? I am thinking that I would not be pressing anything bigger that 48x48.

I have VacuPress 10 system with 4x10 poly bag. I got it around the late 1990's. The 150 system is new to me. My pump is very well made and I'm sure the smaller pump follows the "footstep". The support from the manufacture is superb and you will find a forum on their website for additional support. The poly bag were design for pros as it was more expensive and lasted longer. However, I'm understanding the gap between poly bags and vinyl bags has narrowed somewhat since my purchase. Go with the poly if the budget fits. The pump do not run continuously... as mine will run every 20-22 minutes for less than 15 seconds. Noise is very tolerable for a big pump. Not sure what the baby will do.

I already had a Gast pump (from my turning setup), but I bought my vacuum press bag and gear from Joe Woodworker and couldn't be happier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use poly bags now - they're thinner than vinyl and strong. I have two vacuum pumps, both use the kit from Joe Woodworker - and both work well. They're a bit loud but they only run intermittently - when the vacuum starts to slip - so they're not too bad. But I often put things in a bag and leave the shop just because that's the last step in a process (until the glue sets).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought the parts for mine from joe woodworker. Actually, I picked them up from him at his house since he is only an hour away from me. I was able to put together a setup that works great and I think at the time I made it cost me about 1/10th the cost of purchasing a premade setup.

-Alden

If budget is a consideration you can easily make your own bag from sheet vinyl. You can get sheet vinyl from folks who make boat windows, some fabric stores, or McMaster Carr. It glues with plain PVC pipe cement. I made a 60 x 80" bag more than 10 years ago and have had only one leak, which is easily patch, for about $50.

John

My vacuum pump and bags are from Joe Woodworker. I haven't used in some time, but they worked great. Joe is available, and has helped me straighten out an issue with the vacuum gage-not a malfunction-issue from inactivity.