Thread: Replacement Chuck and Arbor for Delta 17-950L

Replacement Chuck and Arbor for Delta 17-950L

I have a Delta 17-950L that I would like to replace the chuck and possibly the taper/arbor. I looked up the part for the arbor on Delta's site and all I found was an internal part number and that it is no longer available. I bought this drill press used and the chuck has a lot of rust. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement chuck and taper?

Is that a standard Morse #2 taper on the arbor? From the parts diagram that is what it looks like. If so You can get a chuck most anywhere including E**Y or Enco. Also the chuck end of the arbor may be Jacobs #33 which is another popular one and chucks with this taper are very common.

CPeter

I couldn't find any information on what the taper should be for the drill press. Delta's site didn't give any information on this particular model, although they publish this information on their current models. On the 18-900, the spindle taper is a Morse #2 and the chuck is a Jacobs #3. From browsing available tapers off the internet, it appears that my drill press most likely has a MT2-JT3 taper. I'll measure it and compare to some specs for the MT2 and JT3 off a table I found.

An original Delta replacement chuck is $60, and I've seen a wide range of prices ($10 to >$100) on JT3 chucks. Any opinions best value for a chuck? looking for best balance of quality and price.

I've got a Woodcraft keyless on my go to drill press. Cost about $40 a few years back. Came with taper and chuck.

Years ago I put a good Jacobs chuck on my Delta DP and it has been great. Toughest part wasn't finding a good one on eBay, it was changing the chuck out, and realizing I also needed to order those wedges to get the old one off.

Thanks to all who replied. I found a nice Jacobs chuck at an attractive price at Enco. At the time I originally asked the question, I didn't realize that the arbor was simply an adapter between the spindle and the chuck. I thought I had to use an original Delta arbor. I finally realized that I could match an arbor easily to pretty much any chuck. Apologies to CPeter who provided all the information I needed to proceed. My follow-up post probably came across tone-deaf to the information he provided.