Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight edge for jointer setup - Veritas best in breed?

Straight edge for jointer setup - Veritas best in breed?

I'm looking for a quality straight edge to set up my 8" jointer tables. I've been using a box store 4' aluminum ruler but it's not accurate enough, and it doesn't stand on edge without being held. I'm about to lay down $89 for the Veritas 50", guaranteed to .003 accuracy. Is this the best tool for machine setup? Whatever I get will be used as a reference tool only.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

you could just set it up with what you have and then run test pieces .should be able to figure whats wrong and adjust . i have set up planers 2 or more times ,curious not sure what i used . i do have a straight edge like a mason uses -aluminum . just saying you may not need to buy some expensive over the top straight edge

The 8-point adjustment on my planer is a PITA...I'm looking to avoid a trial and error setup.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I popped for a Pinske edge and when I tested it against my 8' extruded level I found the level was good enough to use on the jointer with 95" tables. Dave

I have that straight edge and used to set up my 6 in. jointer that has 46 in. tables. It worked very well, I shimed the dovetail ways, and by trial and error brought them into parallel. It may not be the most accurate ,best straight edge, but for my woodworking use it works well. I like to hand plane joints once in awhile and use it to check the accuracy of those. You will find a lot of uses for it.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Best money you could spend is on that nice but not too spendy aluminum straight-edge. You'll find yourself grabbing it for all sorts of things. I use mine so much that I finally sunk a nail in the wall and hung it up with my levels. You're more than welcome to come over and take it fer a spin, Scott.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

"best" is a subjective term. I bought a 48" Starrett straight edge some years back and it is a dead accurate tool. However it's not an inexpensive one! For the money, I think the one your looking at would do just fine.

good luck,
    JeffD

This is woodworking, not metalworking. A good level is all you need.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have the 3' one I think. I would buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I'll second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My levels get lots of abuse in general construction....nicked and beat up. Ain't interested in buying a new one for a straight edge. But point well taken.
    Scott Vroom

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the 3' one I think. I would buy it again.
    Same here. My 4' level isn't too bad but when I want to get out the feeler gauges it's nice to have something I know is accurate. I don't use it for woodworking itself but for machine setup. I don't think it's overkill at all to set up machines accurately.

The heft of the Veritas steel one is nice. For instance it gives a solid registration when slipping a couple thou feeler gauge under it, and stands up on end easily.
    I have two actually, as I picked one up used for a price I couldn't resist. I would not trust a level for setting up machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I'm looking for a quality straight edge to set up my 8" jointer tables. I've been using a box store 4' aluminum ruler but it's not accurate enough, and it doesn't stand on edge without being held. I'm about to lay down $89 for the Veritas 50", guaranteed to .003 accuracy. Is this the best tool for machine setup? Whatever I get will be used as a reference tool only.
    I have this same one and the 24" steel one. They are both excellent. For machine setup (jointers, saws, etc) I use the longer one. Never felt I was missing anything. Would do it again if something happened to it.

I ordered a woodpecker straight edge the other day, should have it tomorrow, it's guarateed to be straight within a few thousandths also.I didn't buy it for machine setup (although I may use it for that when the time comes), I just wanted a good straight edge to hang on the wall to use for various things.