Thread: Shaker 1840 Clock

Shaker 1840 Clock

cherryclock.jpg
    My wife and I are finishing up the 8th and 9th of these. The photo had a lot of glare in it. So I Photoshoped a tad. We never want to build another one after these.
    They all have mechanical movements the were purchased from Klock Kit.

Great looking Shaker clock.
    C'mon, build one for me, PLEASE!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'll bite.

Why nine of these clocks? That's definetly over the top for me, so I understand you throwing in the towel, but all the same............????
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

The first one was a wedding gift, The one each for three of our adult children. Then the rest for friends. We suddenly have more "Friends" who want one. We had no idea how boring the projects would become. Then there are still mistakes. One would think that after that many it would be a piece of cake. I think one becomes too confident and turns off thinking and relies on auto-pilot too much.
    It is a beautiful design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    We had no idea how boring the projects would become.
    I hear that. Some years back, redid our kitchen. Inset doors on upper and lower cabinets. 25 or so upper cabinets with true divided lites.

I'd had enough after 3 or 4. But - no way to stop.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Really beautiful, Jerry! I have a similar one in my kitchen and just love this style. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work!

My wife has one of these on order.

About ten projects down on my list, but I am getting there.

Chris

Chris;
    PM me if you want a dial face copy emailed.

Blog Entries
    I like shaker style. Very nicely done.

Face copy emailed? Is the face hand-painted? Silkscreened?

Techniques, please.

No it is not hand painted or silkscreened. I have a PDF file of the clock face, e.g., the dial. We used HP Premium Parchment paper to print the face. It is applied with small pieces of double sided photograph tape. The areas where the clock dial and winding shafts come through are also on the face. They fit the movement from Klock Kit so one knows where to drill the holes.

That is really nice. Which movement did you use in them?

Randy;
    We used the Hemle 771.000 movement from Klockit. It has a pendulum with a 5 inch swing. That means it swings 2.5'' each way from center. We used the plans from Norm Abrams' "Mostly Shaker." His instructions for the M&T on the door rails and stiles we confusing so we did our way with no difference in appearance or strength. I found cutting the tenons was easiest on the band saw. It is best to have the sides, two cross tops and middle insert either nailed up as directed or clamped in such a manner that the doors can be fitted. This gives a little wiggle room because #$2@ happens.
    We did not put a molding on the outside upper door to hold the glass. We cut a recess in the back of the door after it was assembled and glue dried. We cut window glass to fit and used glazer points to secure the glass.
    We used polymerized Tung oil for the finish on some and Odie's Oil on the others that were made from cherry. The one walnut one was dyed with Transtint walnut stain. Here we messed with the color on test strips until we got what looked good to the recipient, our daughter, and applied it. One application was just right. We then spayed it with a one pound cut of garnet shellac. This popped the walnut.
    I know I have had enough of this as we said yes to too many people and thought of a few friends that would like them. Lessons learned. No matter what things can get to be a chore rather than fun after awhile.
    A final note. We get our hinges at Ace Hardware. The can be cleaned off with lacquer thinner and suspended in a jar with a little ammonia in it that gives them and aged copper patina.

I used those same plans, Jerry. What I found attractive is that the material thickness that Norm specified is perfect for the proportions of the project. I don't remember if I had any trouble with the M&T as I build mine many years ago and my mind is like a sieve... Really...outstanding job on this beautiful clock!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...