Thread: Upgrading my cnc from a router to a spindle

Upgrading my cnc from a router to a spindle

I need some help and suggestions for my CNC upgrade. I an replacing my router with a water cooler spindle. I live in upstate NY where it's below freezing most of the winter. My shop is unheated. How do I protect my water cooling system from freezing? Do I drain the system everyday after using it? Blow it out with an air compressor to make sure all the water's out? Can I add anti freeze to the water ? Will the anti freeze hurt the spindle? I can't be the only one working in an unheated shop.

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

Dave Seaver

Why water cooled? If you're getting by with a router now, I have to think that a simple, fan cooled spindle would be a super upgrade, especially if it's an electric fan if you plan on slowing it down from the VFD. Anyhow, I believe it's very commonly recommended to mix water with anti-freeze if for no other reason than to keep everything from rusting/corroding. Doesn't the spindle manufacturer or distributor give any guidance? I'd always follow what they recommend first.

I use RV anti freeze in my laser also when I was looking that is what some recommended. safe for animals also

I just got a new cnc with a water cooled spindle. It so quiet you can hardly hear it running. A router is noisy and if you have a fan on a spindle it is also noisy. RV antifreeze used in the cooling system in cold weather and works very well.

Curt

I use coolant made for a computer. It is anti microbial. There is no mixing. I put a flow indicator fan wheel inline so you know the pump is working - the flow spins the fan in a clear housing. My pump resevoir and radiators also came form a pc cooling setup used on ebay. Paid $50 plus ordered hose disconnect fittings, clamps, and hose from mcmastercarr so I could disconnect it if I ever needed too. The fans on the radiators and the pump are wired through the intelligent relay on the VFD. It starts up, waits 15 seconds (dwell) so everything pumps and you can verify it all works, then cuts the job. After it is done the pump stays running for 90 seconds. If I start a second job it stays running or if not and the 90 seconds expires the pump and fans shut off. I use a Hitachi 2.2kw VFD and a spindle from Andy at UgraCNC. Andy checks your spindle and sends you a video of your spindle's run-out before shipping it to you.

The spindle is quiet but the bit in wood and the DC are loud and there is no getting around that bit in wood. The real benefit to me is the ER20 collets. Id make sure you get at least that - ER11 is too small for a decent sized cnc router IMO. You need ER20 to run 1/2" bits.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.