Thread: Almost natural edge Mesquite

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.

Almost natural edge Mesquite

Not long ago I was cutting some slabs for blanks from a crotch (only woodturners can talk like this without snickering) section of a Mesquite log. I'd cut one and--Dang! it had a huge bark inclusion but very interesting patterns, so it was set aside for further pondering. After I looked at it for a while- decided to give it a go and see if the inclusion would "turn out"--no such luck.
    I really liked the patterns and worked to reinforce the bark section so it wouldn't blow up on me-- with CA for a few small cracks and epoxy/turquoise for worm holes and epoxy/iron pyrite powder for the dark bark areas.
    Bowl is ~13 x 3 inches, finish is polyurethane. Has nice grain patterns, knots--the last showed up in the middle of the bottom, lots of yellow sap wood, and did I mention bark?
    Don't expect it to last long at next Market Days.
    My first attempt at pics here--learning the site.

IMG_1144.JPGIMG_1146.JPGIMG_1143.JPGIMG_1142.JPG
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

Nice clean shape and lots of interesting contrast...nope, wouldn't expect that to last long at a show.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

love that mesquite

Nice piece of mesquite David! Love all the contrast and the inclusions. I am just starting on some mesquite from two trees that fell during our last big storm and I can`t wait!!

Nice looking bowl. Looks like all you are missing is a section with worm holes. Great eye for a saved piece of wood.