Thread: What is 100% Speed Chinese Laser (Rabbit Laser)

What is 100% Speed Chinese Laser (Rabbit Laser)

Hi we own a Chinese laser and it's amazing!! Though when looking up tips on how to engrave Speed percentage gives me a problem as I do not know the conversion. I have a good guess but please if someone can confirm.

Below is the exact specs of my laser. I will pull out the engraving spec.

• Engraving speed: 0-60,000 mm/min

My best guess is 60,000 divided by 60 gives me a max cutting speed of 1000 mm/s . So if someone says "90%" i would run it at 900 mm/s.

Please confirm?

• Specifications:
    • Laser-type: Sealed CO2 laser tube *Long-Life 8000 Hours
    • Laser power: 80 Watts (Optional 150 watt)
    • Machine Power Source: 220VAC .. about 12 amps
    • Machine Frame Size: 1160Tall x 1360Deep x 1730Wide mm
    • Machine Frame Size: 45.5Tall x 53.5Deep x 68Wide inch
    • Crated weight with accessories: 1130 pounds
    • Engraving area: 1200 x 900 mm (47.2 x 35.4 inches)
    • Motorized Worktable with about 10 inches of usable height
    • Engraving speed: 0-60,000 mm/min
    • Max cutting speed: 0-36,000 mm/min
    • Laser output control: 1-100% software setting
    • Location precision: less than 0.01 mm
    • Highest scanning precision: 50-1000 DPI
    • Operating temperature: 0-45 Celcius (32-113 Farenheit)
    • Operating humidity: 5-95% non-condensing
    • Minimum shaping character: English 1.0 x 1.0 mm
    • Graphic format supported: BMP, PLT, DST, DXF, and AI
    • Driving system: stepper motors and micro-step drivers
    • Cooling mode: CW-5000 Freon-based, Coolant Chiller system
    • Auxiliary equipment: Exhaust-fans, air-exhaust pipe, air assist pump
    • Work surface: Iron honeycomb (Aluminum rails are optional)
    • Controlling Software: LaserCut 5.3 with Leetro 6535/6565 DSP with USB
    • Compatible Software: TAJIMA, Corel, AutoCAD, Photoshop
    • Slope Engraving: Yes, Can be easily designed within the "Grade Engrave" function.
    • Color separation: Uses color property to set function, speed, and laser power.

Nope,

If they give you a % figure it's likely based on an RF system so will be totally different. Ignore the speed claims as well, cutting above 125mm per second on that machine won't happen, it loses corners and sharp turns, engraving is also limited to around 600mm per second.

Great all round machines though and a lot bigger than the pictures suggest (I know, I've just moved 2 of them)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hensley View Post
    My best guess is 60,000 divided by 60 gives me a max cutting speed of 1000 mm/s . So if someone says "90%" i would run it at 900 mm/s.

It does not work that way and 90% won't be 900mm/s
    In machines like Laser Pro you can expect the same speed no mater how complex, small your shape is but in Chinese ones as Dave has mentioned it won't work the same way. I have asked the similar question once here about my 280W laser. I am not happy that its controller actually defines what the best speed is based on a shape it needs to be cut out. And in fact it does it a lot every time I try to cut something small or complex and it does loose corners too making them round if shape is small relatively to set speed. So for me I have just found a combination of speed and power for each material and I do not even try to do it faster. If I do the controller usually will do it slower.

I do not know why these machines are built this way. I could understand savings on cheap motors if it was for a cheap $5 000-8 000 worth laser. However mine even though it is made in Taiwan is a few times more expensive but it still does it. I would rather pay extra $2000-4000 to have it with much more powerful motors that can handle any speed up to maximum on any shape than stuck with a 280W laser that cannot cut small/thin shapes faster than my other 100W laser.

And back to your question, you can actually measure how fast your laser cut at each percentage of its speed. Although it may not be accurate for a Chinese laser because of all mentioned above. But it works at least with a Laser Pro laser which can maintain the same speed.
    To do it.just make a file with 10 squares 25x25mm, set the speed to 90% and run this job with a timer. The total length of all curves in your file will be 10x25x4=1000mm and if you divide 1000mm by time spent to run the job you will get the speed it has been running with. Then you can reduced speed to 80% and do the same. This way you will find actual speed of cutting for each percentage of it. But this is just for cutting, with engraving it will be much more complex task.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lysov View Post
    To do it.just make a file with 10 squares 25x25mm, set the speed to 90% and run this job with a timer. The total length of all curves in your file will be 10x25x4=1000mm and if you divide 1000mm by time spent to run the job you will get the speed it has been running with. Then you can reduced speed to 80% and do the same. This way you will find actual speed of cutting for each percentage of it. But this is just for cutting, with engraving it will be much more complex task.

Mike,

Thats where I am having the problem there is no setting for speed % in Laser Cut 5.3 only MM/S. So when someone says set speed to 90% or 30%, I have no idea what that means in MM/S

I am afraid to jack the speed up to find it's max speed in MM/S and break it.

Chris on the key pad you can change % of speed and pwr. Not really sure how you'd figure things out , set laser cut at max speed then change % on keypad maybe. Don't know why you'd want to do that tho
    You should have a book from Ray that will give you a good start point for most materials.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thats where I am having the problem there is no setting for speed % in Laser Cut 5.3 only MM/S. So when someone says set speed to 90% or 30%, I have no idea what that means in MM/S
    There is no direct conversion Chris between RF units like Epilog etc and DC Chinese units. In effect, you can't convert between the speed of an Epilog/ULS/Trotech percentage and a Chinese linear speed. The only way would still have issues as the way an RF unit fires is totally different to a DC, RF's fire almost instantly, Chinese DC lasers don't hence they cannot match the DPI of an RF unit. It's like asking two cars to match speeds when neither have a speedometer.

I am afraid to jack the speed up to find it's max speed in MM/S and break it.
    On the 1290 HX series, don't exceed 600mm - 650mm per second, they have big bulky gantrys, heavy laser heads and long distances to deal with, high speeds will cook the motors and give very poor results.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hensley View Post
    Mike,

You have to look at what machine is being used by the person quoting the % speed. If it's a ULS or Epilog (not counting the new speed demons they have supposedly come out with), those machines engrave at roughly 75ips, and cut at significantly less speed. If it's a Trotec Speedy or one of the faster ULS/Epilog systems, speeds are roughly double (engraving speed is 140ips+, etc.).

That said, you cannot directly convert speed from a "western" system (Epilog, ULS, Trotec) to a Chinese system as the Chinese systems will usually have significantly poorer speed control, but it should put you in the ballpark for most items.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

To echo Dan above a bit-- Someone else's version of speed and power settings have absolutely zero to do with your machine and what you're going to do with it. Speed and power settings are something you have to learn as you go. I've had my Triumph for a year now, and I have a notepad saved that I'm constantly updating and referrring to, results of different speed, power and resolution settings on different materials and jobs. Always tweaking. Whatever job I'm about to do, I always have a basic idea as to the settings I should use, but I always check my notes.

All 3 of my machines speed and power percentage outputs are completely skewed compared to one another. Like, my 40w LS900, I test engrave painters tape at 35 power and 100 speed. But if I run my 25w ULS at 15 power and 100 speed, it'll burn right thru the tape. I'm sure part of the difference is the max speeds. But for the most part, I think we're all at the mercy of whoever programed our output controllers and engraving software.

About a year ago I borrowed the twin to my ULS for a weekend to get a rush job out. Completely identical machines, both with recent tube replacements. Yet I had to set the borrowed machine at 85% power to get the same results on black Rowmark as my machine got set at 55%. Yet when vector cutting screw holes, the settings were much closer.

All machines are different, even identical ones!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle