Thread: File and Rasp Rust?

File and Rasp Rust?

Some of my files and rasps appear to have rust growing in the recesses.

Derek for Australia says citric acid does a good job of sharpening/rust removal(?)

How do you all keep rust from forming; the dehumidifier here in Atlanta keeps it around 55%

I have heard never put oil on a rasp or file.

Citric acid or plain old white vinegar will work. I often will clean up with a brass brush.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Some of my files and rasps appear to have rust growing in the recesses.

Derek for Australia says citric acid does a good job of sharpening/rust removal(?)

How do you all keep rust from forming; the dehumidifier here in Atlanta keeps it around 55%

I have heard never put oil on a rasp or file.
    Interesting. I'm here in Atlanta as well. Basement shop with no A/C or heat. Never had this happen. In fact, never had any tools or machines rust as far as I can remember [except when some idiot sat a cold bottle of beer on the TS and wandered off for a couple hours]. Maybe I live in a rust-free zone? Near P'tree-Battle.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Im in Cumming.
    Maybe i am seeing some wood dust that has absorbed some of the oil--may also be walnut, all that can be darker red/brownish
    I am glad that you have not had a problem without oiling-it is a hassle to do.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Im in Cumming.
    Maybe i am seeing some wood dust that has absorbed some of the oil--may also be walnut, all that can be darker red/brownish
    I am glad that you have not had a problem without oiling-it is a hassle to do.
    I do swipe or spray very light coating of camellia oil on my $$$ planes after use. Too much high-priced metal there not to do it. Only takes a few seconds.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Have purchased several rusty files lately, and cleaned them with citric acid using a brass brush to clean them off. I also use the liquid (not spray) WD-40 to coat them as it does evaporate. I haven't had any problems.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Files stay wrapped, in airtight toolboxes, with desiccant containers in the boxes. I've finally gotten to the point that the vast majority of my small tools are stored like this.

Tom,
    I like the way you do that. What kind of air tight tool boxes do you have?
    Thank you,
    Joe
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe