Thread: Blade sharpening question

Blog Entries

Blade sharpening question

I was cleaning a couple of my 10" saw blades and noticed that my 24 tooth Freud ripping blade was missing most of a tooth and it needs sharpened. What does it cost to get a saw blade sharpened these days and what additional cost is there for replacing a tooth?

Does anyone know of a sharpening place that sharpens Freud blades to factory specifications?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

I've been quite unsatisfied with my local sharpening services so I bit the bullet and I sent a few blades to Forrest for sharpening. It was about 2x the money (but cheaper shipping for you since I'm way out here on the Left Coast), shipping included but I have to say that these folks know their stuff when it comes to sharpening! Well worth the money. The money is long gone but I smile every time I run a "Forrest sharpened" blade through my table saw. Even the "cheap" carbide Grizzly blade that came with my saw 14 years ago has never cut so nicely!

Forrest has all their prices online so check 'em out. Package up several blades and ship 'em out! I made a special box with plywood and rigid foam insulation and heavy cardboard and packed up 13 blades of mine (mostly 10" but a few 12") and shipped 'em off and 3 weeks and around $350 later, I had the nicest blades ever. I won't need to do this for another 10-15 years so I think it was worth it.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 12-12-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Any tooling shop should be able to do as good a job, or better than Forrest.

I use FS Tools.

It's about $20 for an 80 tooth blade to be sharpened, less for a rip blade.

I paid a couple of bucks to replace a tooth on a blade a few years ago..............Rod.

I have been real happy with the service at Ridge Carbide - they can do pretty much anything including custom blades in a remarkably short time - I have a 12" RAS with unusual arbor for that size - when i talked to them and asked how much longer for custom they said 1-2 days additional - i send all my stuff to them for sharpening

I use Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY. Here's a link where you can find prices, capabilities, etc. http://dynamicsaw.com/ I've been in their shop a couple of times. They have the best German automated sharpening equipment available and people who know how to use it. They replace missing/chipped teeth; pretty much anything. And their prices are very reasonable, as you'll see. Very happy with their work.

John

I'll second Ridge Carbide. They can make the blade better than new. I have had teeth replaced. The cost is only $5 per tooth. I have a plywood box that just fits inside a Flat Rate Priority mail box and will hold a whole bunch of blades.

CPeter

Freud guarantees it's blades for life. I had a carbide tip come off one of mine and I was able to send it to Freud and get it returned fully repaired. It was several years ago, but I probably paid to ship it to them. Contact Freud and see what they can do for you before you take it elsewhere.

A good sharpening service will hand you back your freud blade sharper than it ever was from the factory .. Replacement teeth are not a big deal. Pretty standard stuff for a sharpening company to replace teeth.

+1 on Forrest. Well worth the $.

Forrest will sharpen and also cheerfully replace any teeth requiring that service. The last time I sent mine in, a couple teeth needed to be replaced. The blades cut better than new after such a sharpening, in my experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Those recommending Forrest, are you sending Freud blades there?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Forest is way OVER PRICED! Dynamic is my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Those recommending Forrest, are you sending Freud blades there?
    They will sharpen any brand blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for Ridge Carbide. I have had blades sharpened by them, and just purchased 2 more if their table saw blades and am quite happy with tge results,